As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, January 9, 2010

Back

So we’re getting back into our routine around here. After the busy-ness and excitement of the holiday season, as well as time off from our formal studies and work, it is a welcome change. I can hardly believe that we have already been at it for a week now.

But “at it” we are. And it is good.
  • We are back to gentle beginnings of days, a couple of cups of coffee and lingering over the Word (as opposed to jumping in with both feet because there is so much on today’s list)...and oh how I love that. I am naturally a slow starter. Well, I guess I am actually slow about most everything. Ask Ron, who calls us girls “Slow,” “Slower,” and “Slowest.” (On second thought, don’t ask him.)
  • We are back to Morning Time (which I plan to talk about it a future post).
  • We are back to stoking the woodstove and making hot tea.
  • We are back to soup simmering on the stove. This week it was vegetable beef and cream of potato.
  • We are back to planning projects for long winter nights...paper snowflakes, quilting, organizing recipes (a gargantuan task, but I keep hoping).
  • We are back to movie marathons like Bleak House or Anne of Green Gables or Pride and Prejudice or Cranford. (Or more than one of the above.)
  • And we are back to school. Ahhhhh....this is my favorite time of the school year! It feels like a fresh start...and there are no vacations or holidays to slow us down before we gain momentum. So we settle in to days of uninterrupted study and more than a few great read alouds.
So if you are looking for me, you can probably find me right here at home. With the tea pot on, a cozy fire, a stack of books...

2 comments:

  1. What a peaceful scene you have painted for us, Cheryl. Mark and I just got back from a two-day road trip. And after being in the hustle and bustle of interstate traffic, reading your words are like balm to my soul. If I looked up the word "home" in the dictionary, I would expect to find a picture of your family right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *so* hear that lingering over the Word (and tea, and, oh, all that good stuff) instead of jumping in with both feet because there's already so much on the day's list. Must ponder your last segment: favorite time of the school year? I have much to learn! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...