As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, January 31, 2011

Morning Time: Late Winter


Holiday breaks and an unusual winter vacation to visit with family have made Morning Time rather hit-and-miss.  But we're ready to get back into a more consistent pattern as we settle into our winter studies...so on we go, collecting those little grains of sand

Morning Time currently looks something like this...

BIBLE READING
We are continuing our journey through the Epistles, which has taken us to Galations. 

BIBLE MEMORY
We are still memorizing Psalm 91, the psalm that was meaningful to the girls' great-grandfather.  (The girls are about there; me, not so much.)

SING A HYMN

We are singing “Be Thou My Vision”. 

POETRY RECITATION
Kati: “The Lake Isle of Inisfree” by William Butler Yeats 
Yes, I memorized this one last year, but Kati wanted to make this "her own" too.

Bekah: “Rum-Tum Tugger” by T. S. Eliot 
Those of you with keen memories may recall that I was memorizing "Rum-Tum Tugger" this past autumn.  But I floundered, and Bekah, cat lover, claimed it as hers the moment I gave it up. ~smile~

Mom: “The Age-Long Minute" by Amy Carmichael 
I have found that my --ahem-- older brain can memorize more easily if the poem speaks to me, thus my choice for this term.

POETRY EXPOSURE

We have been reading the works of Tennyson, but we're about to get to know another poet (Wordsworth?) soon.

LISTEN TO A PIECE OF CLASSICAL MUSIC
This term we are listening to the beautiful compositions of Claude Debussy.

ART APPRECIATION
We are enjoying the art of the American Impressionist and portraitist John Singer Sargent.  In conjunction with our study. we are reading a delightful story of the painting of his famous work, Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose, as told from the perspective of a little girl who was almost the subject of this painting.


Sargent's Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose, 1885-86
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For more reading about "Morning Time":

An introduction to our own "Morning Time"
What Is Morning Time? by Cindy Rollins
Cindy's Inspiration for Morning Time
Kathy's "Morning Stack"

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl!

    I remember those cozy mornings! That first chunk of time in our school day was so important... it varied, depending on what we were studying at the time, but that was our time of connecting and reinforcing the values we wanted to pass to the girls. Thanks for letting us peek into your day!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! We have always done Bible memory and sung a hymn, but I've never added art and poetry in the mornings. I'm looking forward to going back and reading your other links about morning time to get a better picture. Thanks! Lisa~

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...