As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, June 20, 2016

Ready or Not, Here it Comes!




Our school year was wild and woolly, maybe the craziest ever! Between Ron's health crisis and our move, life has been a roller coaster! 

(Have I told you that I am not a roller coaster kind of gal? At amusement parks, I can usually be found at the kiddie rides. I'll stick with the carousel, thank-you-very-much. Of course, I no longer have small children to provide a reason for the kiddie rides. Hmmm. Maybe: I'll "sacrifice" and hold your purse/bag/camera while you ride that insane exciting ride, okay?)

So...on this first day of summer (even though Bekah is not quite finished with school) we are making our summer plans. Plans that are not of the wild-and-woolly sort. Plans that include relaxing and sleeping in and a few beach days. Plans for a read-aloud. Plans for having ONE big party for ALL of the August birthdays (and there are many). Plans for Ron to take a week of vacation (and he never takes vacation in the summer) so that we can do some painting. Plans for making memories. We are trying to simplify summer this year, taking time for our people without jamming the days with activity. Do you think it can be done? 


Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills we will do this or that." 
James 4:15


Amen.





Yesterday, "taking time for our peeps" meant honoring our fathers. And we do have some amazing (and handsome) fathers in our family!










Are you making summer plans? What does an ideal summer look like to you? 


9 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I had to laugh at your comment about the rides at the amusement park. That is Me. We were talking today with Samuel about going to a local amusement park. No way will I be riding on one of those crazy roller coasters or anything wild and woolly!
    You do have very handsome father's in your family. I love seeing your family celebrations. You document your times so beautifully. Your babies are really growing up. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. No real big plans this summer over here with he exception of trying to work in some one on one visits with any of my grandkids who are interested. Some afternoon matinees, a beach trip or two, no amusement parks however, lol. Way too crowded in summertime for me. I hope you enjoy every little minute of your summer! Looks like another great celebration with your family. And I agree....some handsome dads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the roller-coasters, although there are some Disney faster rides I enjoy. I think your plans can be actualized. Dear is unemployed at the present so our plans are pretty low key except just this morning we made some reservations for a 6 day road trip to Yellowstone National Park and Cody Wyoming. Neither of us have ever been to Yellowstone so we are looking forward to it. Hope you have relaxing beach times and a great August celebration! Great Father's Day photos of your time honoring the "Dads". Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forget my summer...yours looks fantastic. You really do have a lot of great-looking dads in the family. Perhaps all the great-looking kids help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, we do have summer plans - a big trip at the beginning of July and a shorter one in August. It's going to fly by! Your plans sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I can sense the anticipation of your summer fun! It sounds relaxing and laid back, as vacations should be! As always, great photos of the fam and I love the shot of the pier! As far as our plans, we are actually taking a day trip this Saturday to the area around where we had our cabin and the Blue Ridge Parkway (VA). While there, we hope to get our hands on a couple of gallon of black raspberries....can't get them here...too hot. In July we will be heading to TN to visit our son's lovely country haven and then...and this really excites me...for my birthday in September, my sis will be flying in from OH (her first flight ever!) and just the two of us will be heading to Carolina Beach for a sister's getaway! Now...just having to endure the wait..."If the Lord wills we will do this or that." (love this)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up writing "DV" at the end of a statement that included plans. Meaning in Latin, "Lord willing." A reminder that all our plans are according to if He wills or not! Love all your father photos. I hope they are all recorded somewhere for year after year. Your summer plans sound good to me. A little laziness should be included! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you've got a good plan. And you've had quite the crazy year, so a lower key summer sounds like a good idea. As always i loved your family photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your summer plans. Ours are low key, we have a visit from the grands coming up in July...counting the days. Some plans to visit some outdoor music events in the area, eat some ice cream, and visit the beach. Eat lots of dinners outside and watch the birds. Love your family photos

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...