As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, December 9, 2016

A Week in December





Weeks in December, full as they are, tend to get away from you before you know it! So I am documenting a few of the happenings from one Friday to the next. 




The new home school choir had their debut performance. We have one daughter and six grandchildren in this choir, so to say we were bursting our buttons would be an understatement! Granddaughter Eve had a solo part and did a beautiful job. (Maybe Kati will help me learn to condense and post a video to share in another post. Blogger says my file exceeds the limits.)




We celebrated the December birthdays. Our oldest grandson Gavin is now 14 (what?!), and our daughter-in-law Sarah has a birthday later this month. It is always a joy to celebrate those we love!





I am thankful for the gift of an unexpected day off for Kati, which allowed us to carry on a loved tradition.

A few years ago, we had a conversation about our favorite Christmas activities. I asked everyone what one or two things were the most important to them. What were the things that they did not want to leave out? I was somewhat surprised at the answers. No one said riding around and looking at lights (so we quit doing that). Some of the Christmas parties were seen as fun, but not essential. But both Kati and Bekah had our Girls' Day Out as one of the top things on their lists!

It's such a simple thing. We go to Barnes and Noble and drink Starbucks holiday drinks. We peruse magazines as we sip. We chat. We take selfies. Then we browse the books. 

Kati's day off (due to a scheduling oversight) allowed us to enjoy Girls' Day Out as usual.

(Note that the girls wore coordinating outfits? Totally unplanned...but they went with it. Sisters.)


Throwback to 2009.




One night, we had four special guests while their parents went out of town to make a craigslist purchase. (They are moving into their new house this weekend!)

Oh my goodness. A two-year-old in footie pajamas. A six-year-old who listened while I read picture books. Two sweet girls playing Clue with Aunt Bekah. Little boys watching Paddington.

So. Much. Sweetness. 


Photos by Kati





Also this week, our new chandelier finally arrived! I say "finally" because we were wondering what had happened to it. Turns out, I had neglected to change from our old address on my ebay account and the package had to go around Robin Hood's barn to get here. Good grief. 

Ron hung it that very evening and we are loving this change. (Some before pictures are in this post.) Once Ron completes the shutters for the bottom window sashes, we'll be finished with the island area of the kitchen. (And I hope to be able to take better photos without all of that light!)








For many years, my mom has invited Bekah and Maddie for lunch at Christmastime. They eat a special lunch, watch cooking shows, play games, chat, and leave with party favors. What's not to love?

Here is this year's photo...

...and one from 2009.





Are the weeks flying by for you? Are you enjoying any special traditions this December?

15 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing photos of your home and family. Thanks for sharing the joy and beauty that surrounds you.

    Happy Christmas holidays ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see your sweet daughters at various times in their life, and Grandma too! Love the stripy pyjamas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a LOT of goings on in one week! Your home looks so comfy and inviting...beautiful tree! Love new chandelier...what a difference and looks like it was meant for that very spot. I always enjoy your posts, Cheryl :) Enjoy your weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to ask about favorite things and eliminating things that don't make it to the top of the list. Glad you got your girls day out. Fun. Those grands are so cute. Hopefully we'll get our tree at the beginning of next week...the last thing to decorate around here. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a busy week for you and your family, Cheryl. I love how you document the days. It really shows how much joy and happiness you experience. I love the now and then photos of your children and grandchildren and your mother. The traditions you share with your loved ones are so special.
    Your new chandelier is perfect for your home! Enjoy every moment. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear from you and about your week. Love that B and K tradition!! I'll have to send you a photo of our tree and you'll see why. I have almost all of my to do list done and now maybe can do some baking, but no pressure on that. Some family come for the weekend and I am just about ready so doing some blog reading. Our frigid weather is helping it "feel" like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love beautiful, loving families, choirs, grands in footie jammie's, new chandeliers, girls day out, special lunches....

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a special mom to have both girls put that Christmas wish at the top of their list. Looks like a lot of fun, too! Sweet photos, as always, of your family enjoying time together. Say, two with head injuries?

    Love the new light fixture. It looks perfect for your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No head injuries, thankfully! Ryan has a thing about being creative with gift wrappings. This time he made the issue into Karate Kid headbands. That boy! :)

      Delete
  9. much sweetness .. i'm smiling through my 2nd reading of your post. the togetherness is so very special and i'm absolutely sure you don't take it for granted. no. you gather it to your heart and squeeze it in tight. ♥

    loving the chandelier. big time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. December is definitely marching on!!! Your first week looks and sounds wonderful. I love your tradition of going out with your girls - so sweet. Much love in your words and your pictures. I truly love your decorating style and that chandelier is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely start to your December. Oh my goodness, love those photos of the little ones. Dearhearts!

    Your new light will be a perfect addition to your kitchen area.

    Sisters wearing a similar outfit -- must be related indeed. And I found it cute to see the little fellow in his Santa hat was also dressed to match.

    Wishing you a wonderful weekend and a beautiful rest of December.

    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. And some people wonder what homeschoolers could possibly do all the time! There are often not enough hours in the day. I remember. And I sure do miss all that. I'll tell you again that I love to see all your family together. When we do get together as the Lord allowed in October it was a precious time. The military keeps us apart more than we would like, but we are especially proud of our Marine. We'll have one daughter's family here for Christmas if the weather cooperates. Praying about that. I can sure see His hand if giving you homes with ample family room. Making good memories is a full time job! Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soo enjoyed this. Always enjoy reading of others traditions and ways of celebrating the season. The girls day out is such a good one. Melody and I did that from the time she was really little on a Santa Claus picture, to the last time on the Christmas before she was married. We'd leave early starting with breakfast somewhere complete with hot chocolate. Then we'd shop with nothing more to do then ENJOY the sights all around us. She'd pick out her annual new Christmas ornament and we'd get her name and date on it somehow. We'd have soup somewhere (hoping the weather was cool enough to enjoy it! lol) and then hit a matinee somewhere. There was usually some Christmas movie or another out. Nothing really of any huge significance, but it is her most cherished Christmas "tradition". We were able to do this even after she married and moved away, right up until she added her own kids. Haven't done it in 5 years now and we both miss it. I love the tradition your girls have with their grandmother too. They will cherish those memories too. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darling photos of the kids, as usual, Cheryl! And I love it that the two girls happened to dress so much alike for the Girls' Day Out! That's exactly the kind of Day Out that I like. I think Mr. C. and I are going to get one tomorrow. Enjoy all the wonderful pre-Christmas events and traditions with your family.xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...