As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, January 12, 2017

Celebrating Winter {Snow Cream Recipe Included!}




Is winter really longer than all of the other seasons? Sometimes it seems so, especially when it is cold and gray, day after day after day, and the nights are long. But the seasons testify to the faithfulness of God . . . 

I will never again curse the ground for man's sake, although the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; nor will I again destroy every living thing as I have done.
While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, and day and night shall not cease 

. . . and so I will do best to make the most of the season that is here. I may be looking ahead to the green and the liveliness of spring, but I can still celebrate the gift of winter!


Ideas for celebrating winter . . .
  • Enjoy cozy candlelight.
  • Make soup. Try a new recipe. Or two. Or six. 
  • Watch a video "project": a series, or movies with a related theme.  Some we have enjoyed are Bleak HouseAnne of Green Gables, the Jane Austen movies, CranfordWives and Daughters, Ken Burns' documentaries.
  • If you're a homeschooler, make the most of fewer activities, more time inside. The winter months are often our most productive for schooling!
  • Drink hot drinks. Set up a hot chocolate bar. Savor a cup of hot tea in the afternoon. 
  • Make snow cream. (Easy-peasy recipe below!) 
  • Put together a 1000-piece puzzle.
  • Begin a read aloud.
  • Add some winter touches to your house. Pine cones, berries, candles, wool throws. Be sure to include some color! (Vee has been pondering this idea on her blog. Read ~here~ and ~here~. Good stuff!)





SNOW CREAM

Ingredients:
fresh, clean snow
14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk

Directions:
1) Fill your largest bowl with snow.
2) Stir in sweetened condensed milk.
3) Eat immediately! Mmmmmm.

(You can freeze leftovers, but the consistency will be different.)


Didn't I tell you it was easy-peasy? And soooo good!


What are some things that you do to celebrate winter? (Or even to endure it?) 

I am also curious to know about snow cream. It is a local thing? Have you ever eaten it? Made it yourself? Heard of it?

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link to my place...I appreciate it, especially when your own thoughts are perfectly complete on the matter. 🏡

    As for snow cream...I remember being very excited about having some one winter long, long ago. I'll keep my opinion of what we "enjoyed" under my hat. Ha! I'm thinking the sweetened condensed milk might well make a pleasing difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know what snowcream is, and it sounds delicious....but with snow being a rarity here, I don't think I will be able to make it! I'll keep some condensed milk in...just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of snow cream but what a great idea. Of course growing up in Southern California I never even saw falling snow. Since moving to Washington state I finally do get to see falling snow. I have scooped up clean fresh fallen snow and poured raspberry goodness over it. Love your list of things to do in a real winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Your recipe for snow cream is just a tad easier than mine...I use heavy cream, vanilla and Splenda. I know it sounds like an oxymoron but it falls into the low-carb category that way :) Any I do enjoy watching those Ken Burns documentaries! Enjoy your snow...mine went bye-bye :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother made snow cream after a big snow when I was a little girl, or sometimes just pouring strong Kool-Aid over snow. I love January when I don't have to drive on slick roads. It gives me permission to read, watch movies, and make soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great thoughts about enjoying winter, Cheryl. My Mama used to make snow cream for us as children and I attempted it as well, but mine never tasted as good as her's. Your snow cream must be quite delicious using sweetened condensed milk. Your recipe will have to wait as our snow is gone. It's almost 70 degrees today and I'm enjoying sitting outside on the patio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never had snow cream, perhaps the next snow we'll give it a try. I am one who tends to endure winter, I much prefer the warmer weather. Great ideas for "celebrating" winter though. The days are getting longer which is something to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you know this California gal has never even heard of snow cream, let along eaten any, but it does sound really good! I LOVE the Anne of Green Gables series, but have not watched any of the others you suggested. I will look for them. My winters are very different from yours, but we sure have had a lot of rain since Christmas. I am loving it, but then I don't have to go out in it and drive around. Have a good week-end!
































    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard of snow cream but never eaten it. It would be dangerous for us to eat snow that falls around here since we live just two blocks from a chemical plant. You never know. It might be OK, but I wouldn't take a chance. Even our ground water is polluted.

    Those are great ideas of things to do in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First let me tell you that one of the things I enjoy most about your posts are the accompanying photos! You are a great photographer and your picture subjects are always so pleasant. I remember my mom making snow ice cream when there was enough snow in western Texas to make any at all. She used sugar, vanilla and canned milk. If she'd used 'sweetened condensed milk' I'm sure it would be more memorable, as I've never tasted anything made from that I didn't like. I too read a lot and watch many series and movies.
    We have a 1000 piece puzzle we haven't even cracked open yet. If we can keep things running around here long enough we hope to put that to good use. My homeschoolers have left the nest now and the eldest has just started a little homeschooling with her 4 1/2 yr old. I remember!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made snow cream earlier this week after reading about it on your last post and also at some other places recently. It was good!!! The next day, however, it would have been impossible to make - high winds and rain causing the lovely white snow to turn dirty and full of pine needles! I too loved Vee's ponderings about making the "haven" cozy! I've been quilting of late and that helps me to bear the cold/dreary winter days! Now, that hot chocolate bar sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the snow cream is a southern thing? (Do you qualify for being in the south?) Anyway, we were not allowed to eat snow growing up (of course it stayed on the ground forever and got dirty) --something in it from the atmosphere, we were told. Or something like that. I enjoyed reading your book reading link.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's the recipe I use, too! Summer is the season that seems to drag on and on for me. All the others seem short in comparison.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...