As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Progress



I am not tired of winter because of winter, but I am oh-so-tired of winter germs. 

Someone (usually more than one) in our family (I am speaking of the four of us, my daughter's family, my son's family, my parents) has been sick since January 24th! There have been multiple victims and multiple viruses: stomach bugs, colds, and the flu. There has been an abscessed tooth and a surgery. 

I know we're not alone. There are sick people all over the place! Are there more germs than usual this winter? It sure seems so.

"When illness hits we should remember that this period of time is part of the whole of life. This is not just a non-time to be shoved aside, but a portion of time that counts. It is part of the well person's life, as well as part of the sick person's life."  ~ Edith Schaeffer 



Indeed, although it is wearying to be the sick person and it is wearying to be the well person who is caring for others, it is truly time that counts. I pray that we have made the most of these times.




At our house, people are mostly well now, although I told someone last night, I suspect we'll be coughing until the cows come home. As we slowly climb out of the dark hole, the ordinary becomes extraordinary and we find great pleasure in simple things.

Clean bathrooms, for instance. Oh, how good that feels.

Getting back to (home) school. 

Hearing Bekah play the piano. Usually Bekah plays every day, all during the day. But yesterday when she sat at the piano and played a Chopin piece, our ears perked up and we realized that the piano had lain silent for many days. 

A nice meal. After days of eating carryout or what the least sick person felt like preparing, last night I cooked a turkey breast and roasted broccoli and Ron made mashed potatoes. We could hardly wait for Kati to come home from work so we could sit down to dinner. At the table, no less!

A new wreath on the front door. Yes, I know it is not spring yet. I know I'm jumping the gun. I was going to put it away . . . at least until March. But there it is and we are enjoying it.

Simple pleasures. 




What are the simple pleasures in your world in these waning winter days? 

16 comments:

  1. Glad you and your family are feeling better. We haven't really had much winter here in East Texas but there has been sickness. Your wreath is very pretty and "springy". It is wonderful to get back to "normal" after a time of sickness--tidy house, a good home-cooked meal, and someone to play piano for you. Lovely. Blessings, Sharon D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankful you are all finally on the mend, and the cheery wreath on the front door seems to exclaim that good news. Yes I think people have been sicker and more of them sick than I remember in other years. And taking a long time to get well. Simple pleasures? Spending time with my husband as we anticipate his big surgery and how life will be "out of whack" for a good while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - lots of sickness around here, too. And in my daughter' family, everyone, all sick except for one child! Wish I lived closer to help out...

    Simple pleasures? Music "piped" into our home via new station with all old hymns and gospel songs; jigsaw puzzles; games with my father each evening; walks in the sunshine on these rare February days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've not been sick often this winter, thanks be to God, but I can empathize with you, for we've had seasons of illness that seem to linger far too long. Simple pleasures - sitting by the fire in the evenings, reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't felt terrific, but then no flu or colds...just lots of muscle aches and pains that come with winter chores. So sorry that everyone has been in on this equal opportunity bug. Glad that it is waning, but guard your rest. Simple pleasures are always reading my favorite blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy to hear you are all on the mend!

    Simple pleasures are great anytime but especially after an illness.

    We are home now and enjoying a visit from our grandbaby and her parents! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you are all doing so much better. Your simple pleasure sound delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Springy wreath on your door is so lovely! I hope everyone gets better very soon. Thankfully, we have avoided most of the bugs going around here. My simple pleasures are enjoying days with my sweet granddaughter - as many as I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple pleasures indeed. And I love Chopin! Beautiful photo of Bekah at the piano! So glad that summer is coming and taking away the winter doldrums and GERMS. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your spring wreath is so very cheery. That should send off any winter germs pronto!

    Glad your life is getting back to normal so everyone can enjoy their simple pleasures again.

    Wishing you a beautiful weekend,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good to hear that everyone in your home is on the upswing! Jim has gotten a couple of colds and earlier we both had this weird virus that left you with a cough that lasted for weeks...you know, the kind where it seems you were going to bring up a lung!(akkkkk) I love your wreath...forsythia is one of my favorite sights in the summer and I too cooked a turkey breast a few weeks ago...comfort food to be sure! I hope everyone in your household continues to stay healthy. Have a blessed weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peeking in...hoping that those nasty old germs have been dispatched. Found myself thinking of you all...🌷

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simple pleasures mean so much more when you not able to enjoy them for a time. We've been hit with some bugs as well and it's been so nice to open some windows and let the warm breeze in...killing all those nasty germs. Glad you are all feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy. Glad you are seeing the better side of the sicknesses going around. Interesting quote. I think of the people I know who are living with chronic pain and still move forward with peace. A little pain throws me off. The simple pleasures right now are being lived out at our son's home. I'm doing some scrubbing and deep cleaning for them before little miss Addy arrives. Dear is installing garage door openers and replacing toilets....fun stuff. :) Hope your week goes well and that all the coughing will diminish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I missed this somehow, but so glad to hear your all feeling better. I have heard many others it seemed who had a rough winter with colds and flu. So far hubby and I have escaped, and how grateful I am as it sounds like not much fun at all. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of Bekah at the piano. How wonderful she is back at it. I'd love it if someone played ours once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you and your family have all kicked the germs out of the house now. I do know what you mean about those lingering coughs. I love your spring wreath...I've had my eye on one almost exactly like yours. Now that it's March, I think I'll just have to get it to hang on my door, too.
    Happy March to you, stay well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...