As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, January 20, 2018

Sausage Kale and White Bean Soup


I have made this soup three times this January, tweaking as I go, and now I am satisfied with the recipe. I suppose I'll give it a rest while everyone still loves it. I don't want to push the envelope. (Do you ever do that? Find something that your family loves . . . and then serve it a little too often . . . so that they are not so enthusiastic about it any more? Guilty here.) 

This is a hearty and flavorful soup, just right for cold winter nights.



SAUSAGE KALE and WHITE BEAN SOUP


Ingredients: 

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 white onions, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, pressed
1 pound smoked sausage, sliced and halved
2 cups carrots, sliced
2 cups celery, sliced
8 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups penne (I used Barilla ProteinPLUS®)
6 cups chopped kale
1 can cannellini beans, drained
grated Parmesan


Directions:

In large pot, heat olive oil. Add onions and cook over medium-high heat until soft, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. 

Add sliced sausage and cook for 2-3 minutes.

Add carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.

Add chicken broth, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.

Add pasta; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add kale and cannellini beans. Cook on low until kale is soft and beans are heated through.

Serve hot with grated Parmesan.


18 comments:

  1. This soup looks and sounds very tasty...I will have to try it soon. I seem to fix the same 3 or 4 soups all winter, so it's nice to have a new recipe to try. Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always open to new soup recipes! What are your standard soups?

      Delete
  2. This sounds so warm and delicious! I am definitely going to save this recipe and hopefully make it soon...perhaps we will get another snowfall here in TN. I love adding new soups to my collection, and I don't have any that resemble this recipe, so it will be something new and fresh!

    Thank you for sharing the recipe ♥ Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Elizabeth! I am always looking for new soup recipes too!
      Happy weekend to you!

      Delete
  3. Your soup looks and sounds delicious, Cheryl. I tend to run some recipes in the ground, but my family never complains. I'm sure they would enjoy this soup. I'm always looking for something different. Thanks for tweaking it to perfection.
    The weather is in the 60's today and gorgeous, but I'm sure we will have more soup weather before winter is over. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day here too (not quite as warm as yours, but nearly). But you're right. I am sure that more soup weather is coming!

      Haha! Recipe ruts are my specialty! :)

      Delete
  4. I wrote down this recipe and plan to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious. We will have to try it but find a substitute for kale (or spinach)... the green color adds so much to a soup though (visual as well as healthy flavor and nutrition!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty of flavor there, even without the kale. If you eat it with a salad, you've got those greens covered! :)

      Delete
  6. Looks like a wonderful combination of flavors and textures. My kind of soup for sure! And yes, I do a lot of tweaking around here, too, but not with family favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tweaking family favorites can bring mutiny! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm going to be trying out that recipe real soon, Cheryl. It looks so nourishing and cozy for a cold winter's lunch.

    Wishing you a beautiful day...
    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it is fabulous on a cold winter's day! Hope your new week is off to a good start!

      Delete
  8. Yum Cheryl. I love making soups during the winter months. This one is a good one and I am going to make it this week. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...