As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, September 17, 2018

On a Monday Morning . . .


Monday morning, September 17.


We are beginning our third week of our last year of school . . . Bekah's senior year and my twenty-eighth and final year of homeschooling. I will probably talk a lot about "lasts" this year because I will notice them all.

This world of "lasts" is bittersweet. In many ways, I hate to be finished with homeschooling. It is a lifestyle for us and I can hardly imagine not doing it. Homeschooling is a huge part of who I am. But there is great satisfaction in (almost) completing the course and seeing all of my children walking forward with the Lord. There is great joy in being able to say no regrets. Not that I haven't made mistakes along the way, demanded too much or too little, chosen a wrong book or curriculum, left some learning gaps. But . . . no regrets that we walked the homeschooling path. No regrets that we built up so many memories over the years. No regrets that I spent so much time with my children. No regrets that we all learned together to rely on our Father to direct our steps. 



Ron returned to work after a week of vacation. It was a working vacation for sure!

We're continuing to make progress in the kitchen (I told you all about our plans ~here~) and a lot of things were checked off the list this past week. I will share the details in a future post, but I need about a week or so to treat the butcher block before I can use the counters and then there is some painting to do. In the meantime, here's a sneak peek!



I am hoping to squeeze in some fallifying! 

Autumn is getting a slow start around here. Weather-wise, it hasn't happened. But I am ready to do a little fallifying in the house this week. Fall has to be here soon, right?!


Traveling a country road yesterday, we passed a farm with some beautiful Cinderella pumpkins for sale and I gasped! Ron, sweet husband that he is, turned the van around and headed back to the pumpkins. I chose one, and then a few unusual gourds, and then the girls each selected a white pumpkin for their rooms. And so now I am off to a running start . . .




What is happening on this September Monday in your world? 


14 comments:

  1. Good heavens! It appears I can comment. ☺️ I am surprised to learn that Bekah is a senior; somehow, I have lost an entire year.

    It is good that you will document this year well. Are you going to college next year? It’s going to feel like retirement, I think. I must say that retirement is good.

    Love the pumpkin! It feels so little like September that I am not yet “in the mood.”

    My Monday morning has been spent recuperating from having the grands for a three-day weekend. It was fun, busy, and a little wild, too. 😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I definitely have plans to retire! All my retired friends tell me that there is never a dull moment. I am thinking about a few things with which to productively use my time . . .

      I have learned that "fun, busy, and a little wild" requires a recuperation period! Hope you enjoy a restful week!

      Delete
  2. Cheryl, I hear your homeschooling heart speaking. I'm sure there are many young mothers that would benefit from your knowledge of homeschooling. I admire your tenacity to educate your children! Well done!
    Oooo, the butcher block counters are looking very nice. And your Cinderella pumpkin and mums (I think I see) are great starts to "fallifying." ♥


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind and encouraging words, Martha Ellen! My heart is definitely in homeschooling!

      (Yes, you did spy mums!)

      Delete
  3. It is difficult to see things come to a close. The memories of home schooling your children will always be with them, as well as with you. Relish the memories as you say goodbye, to each groups of lessons. For me,I am enjoying the extended summer weather we are experiencing, but will decorate soon as our Thangsgiving is early October. However, I have signed up for two new Bible Studies. One on the book of John, the other on the life of Joseph.Also,looking for a new creative outlet. When I moved I to condo 3 years ago, I got rid of most of my creative outlets, due to lack of space. but find I am missing out on using my skill and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good advice, Sally . . . relishing the memories!

      Bible study is certainly a productive use of time! Hope you're able to find a creative outlet that fits your space and time and interest. (If you're like me, it may take a few tries to narrow it down!)

      Delete
  4. we homeschooled our daughter through high school .. no regrets. rather, memories which warm our hearts. such good times. grace times. growing times. then again, it's all grace.. ♥ ..... stay{work}cations are welcome in our home! i love your sink and the wood counter top! it's swOonie. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely . . . "it's all grace."
      Thanks, and hugs back!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful picture of Bekah! And I love the sneak peek of your kitchen. I'm one whose life was homeschooling but have managed OK without it. We have great memories. I have some homeschooling friends who had more kids so did it longer than me and I wondered how they would manage when they were finally done but they have done fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words! That is what I have suspected, but it is a lot to think about!

      Delete
  6. It all goes by so fast! But we will always have all the wonderful memories of these years of learning together! Bekah has grown into a beautiful woman. Enjoy this last year.

    I’m fallifying around the cottage too. Just a bit at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it does go by so quickly! I would never have imagined that at the beginning, but oh how it has flown!

      I think it will be easier to fallify when it is not hot and humid. #hottestseptemberever

      Delete
  7. Wow...hard to believe Bekah is a senior...bittersweet for you, no doubt. Your kitchen sink and counters look amazing...Ron does very good work! No fallifying has gone on here as of yet...I need to get busy this weekend. It seems to be hard to get into it when it's 80+ degrees outside so that is why I have a wonderfully autumn-scented wax block melting in my warmer right now! That is one gorgeous pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Bittersweet" is the perfect word, Debby. And I'll pass your kind words on to Ron! He worked hard on that week of "vacation." :)

      My fallifying is only very slightly ahead of yours. I think that the hot, humid weather has held me back this year. I have been content with the limelight hydrangeas that I picked over Labor Day weekend. They are drying so beautifully and are providing that early fall vibe. I'm just not quite ready to go all out!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...