As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, November 16, 2018

Toaster Oven Cover


When I shared our latest kitchen updates, I mentioned that I had asked Ron to make a cover for the toaster oven. One of my decorating practices is to hide ugly stuff, and although my toaster oven is not particularly ugly, I think this new faux apothecary cabinet is much prettier! 



The plan was to add a bit of color to the kitchen. Ron applied an undercoat of black paint with the idea that I would then paint it some colonial color (barn red or my favorite Quaker Green) and distress it. But when we put it on the counter, I really liked the black! 




I did a small amount of distressing, applied a coat of Miss Mustard Seed's hemp oil, and left it at that. 




Who knows? I may end up painting it another color some day. (Or maybe not.)

I am happy to have another house-y project checked off the list! ✔


26 comments:

  1. Excellent idea! I have never wanted to own one, because they take up so much counterspace and there's really nothing attractive about them. Superb solution!

    By the way...that topiary is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! We use our toaster oven often, so I was happy to find a way to hide it.

      Delete
  2. What a clever idea! My toaster lives quietly in a lower cupboard and only comes out occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the idea of your toaster's quiet life. :)

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful option! We don't have a toaster oven yet, but I'm thinking that when the microwave goes out, I might give the toaster oven a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks! We have had a toaster oven for years because it is more versatile than a pop-up toaster. But it's the idea of "you don't miss what you've not had."

      Delete
  4. It's perfect! And what a wonderful decorating practice to hide the ugly stuff on one's counter. I never really know how to do that, but I love your idea very much! It looks great.

    Happy weekend...
    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda! I tuck things here and there . . . in baskets, in bowls, in crocks. I think that is why I have never been tempted by the idea of open shelving that replaces upper cabinets. Where would I put all my stuff?!

      Delete
  5. Clever! Remember when kitchens used to come with “garages” where appliances were kept? That was 30 or more years ago. Love this look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vee! Yes, I do remember appliance garages! Of course, the old farmhouse did not get in on that trend. :)

      Delete
  6. Cheryl, you are a master at hiding the "ugly stuff". Your hubby certainly did a nice job on this apothecary cabinet. I always enjoy seeing how beautifully your projects come to fruition. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen! Perhaps I am a little obsessive, but I do like to tuck away the "ugly" so I can see the "pretty"! I will share your nice words with Ron.

      Delete
    2. Cheryl, I would never call it obsessive. I would call it smart! You have a wonderful gift for showing the "pretty." ♥

      Delete
  7. That looks so great! Very clever. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosella! A very happy Thanksgiving to you too!

      Delete
  8. It’s really perfect! You and Ron are a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow it looks great! I like the color, and the idea that you could change it up later on if you choose. A great idea! You guys are a great team as Deanna says! Dotsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dotsie, thank you! I am happy that Ron and I are on the same team!

      Delete
  10. Curious, my toaster oven gets pretty hot when I use it. How does the cover stand up to the heat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Jodee! My toaster oven does get pretty hot, so I simply slide it out of the cover when I use it. After it cools, I slide it back in and close the door again.

      Delete
  11. I love it so much!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...