As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, December 7, 2018

Five on Friday: Music and More Music

Since Thanksgiving weekend, our Christmas celebrating has been filled with music, so that is the theme of my Five on Friday today. 



{one}
Bekah's piano recital was Thanksgiving weekend. It was a lovely affair, held at a local Festival of Trees. It was a thrill for me to hear Bekah and her teacher (and cousin) Amy play a duet, "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy."


She also played a piano solo: "We Three Kings." 


{two}
In our Morning Time, we are repeating the devotional series that we did last year, based on Handel's Messiah. It was a highlight for us last December, so when Bekah asked if we could do it again this year, I was more than willing! Each day, we read passages from Scripture, and then we listen to the corresponding portions from the oratorio. 

The link to the schedule of Scripture passages and corresponding songs:

The link to the performance of Messiah to which we are listening:



{three}
I have recently discovered a fabulous resource for moms who want to teach hymns to their children. Happy Hymnody is both an Instagram account and a blog devoted to that purpose. Pastor's wife and mom, April Brover, introduces the group to a #hymnofthemonth, providing printables of the lyrics, links to videos, the stories behind the hymn, as well as a community of encouragement.

This month's hymn is "Joy to the World" and we're singing it too, paying special attention to the significance of verse 3. Have you ever wondered what the business about thorns infesting the ground is doing in a Christmas carol? Read here if you're curious. 

source



{four}
Bekah's voice recital was on the following weekend. Let me assure you that she was far more nervous to be singing rather than playing the piano! (This is her first year taking voice lessons.) She sang "Coventry Carol," a song that I had heard many times, but had never really paid attention to the words. I was surprised to learn that it is based on Herod's order to kill all the male children under the age of two. You can read more about the song's history here

Kati took a video of Bekah's performance, but forgot that her "real" camera does not correct orientation as her cell phone camera does, meaning that you'd have to tilt your head (or your device) to see it properly. (Link is here for those who don't mind tilting. 😉)
Photo courtesy of another recital mom, Rebecca


{five}
The last in our series of three weekends/three recitals is this evening! Our homeschool choir will be presenting its Christmas program and we're all excited. Bekah and six of our grands (Maddie, Owen, Eve, Ben, Nora, and Alaine) are in the choir. How could we not love this?

What to wear?



Is music an important part of your Christmas celebrations? My own favorite carol is "Angels From the Realms of Glory." The whole story of redemption is told in its words! (Read them here.) 🎝🎜 God with man is now residing . . . 

I'd love to know your favorite carol. If you'd like, share yours in the comments.

20 comments:

  1. Christmas would not be Christmas without the music and carols. I consider so many carols my favourites, it's always hard to select one over the other. But today I'm loving Joy to the World, O Holy Night, The First Noel, Handel's Hallelujah Chorus, Once in Royal David's City, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Deck the Halls, Jingle Bells .....

    Enjoyed your musical Five on Friday today. Wishing you a beautiful weekend!
    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooooo many beautiful carols, yes! Thanks for sharing some of your favorites! A beautiful weekend to you too!

      Delete
  2. Your world of music is delightful, Cheryl. Bekah and her cousin Amy did a beautiful job with" Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy"! I loved the sweet smile at the end. Bekah's "We Three Kings" was as lovely as she looks when she is singing "Coventry Carol." Music has always played an important part of my life. Handel's Messiah will always be my favorite at Christmas. Thank you for a beautiful recital! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming to our recital, Martha Ellen! Oh yes . . . Handel's Messiah is some of the most beautiful music ever written!

      Delete
  3. Music is so important in everyone's life. My favorite carol is Joy to the World. Bekah is wonderful both on the piano and singing. My laptop doesn't turn the picture, so I could turn the computer and watch it! Thanks also for the link to the Messiah Advent readings. I would like to do this if not this year, then next Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, thanks for your kind words! I will share them with Bekah. I am really enjoying "Joy to the World" this year. It's as if I am hearing the words for the first time.


      One thing that I love about Handel's Messiah is that it is entirely composed of Scripture. It is helpful to read these words and then hear them sung in these beautiful songs. (If you are interested in doing it this year, you could probably combine some of the shorter readings. Last year, we didn't quite finish before Christmas, so we just picked it back up in January after our holiday break.)

      Delete
  4. Silent Night is one of my favorite Christmas songs, but I like so many.
    Lovely music!
    Christmas blessings to you and I love all the dresses!
    d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way. "Angels From the Realms of Glory" has long been my favorite, but I love so many! Christmas carols are so rich with doctrine and with meaning.

      It was a hard choice, but she settled on the third one in the line up. :)

      Delete
  5. Bekah is so accomplished. I enjoyed hearing her recital pieces. The Coventry Carol has such a haunting melody...

    Impossible to choose a favorite carol...love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming to our recital today and for your kind words! I will relay them to Bekah.

      Choosing a favorite carol is on a par with choosing a favorite child, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. Bekah plays so well. Choosing a favourite carol is difficult - Angels from the Realms of Glory is one, also Silent Night, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen...oh, I'd be typing them all!
    I went to our high school concert this week and Michael W. Smith's All is Well was played and has been winding in and out of my thoughts these days. Such a beautiful, rich piece. All is well, He is with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such glorious words in that song, All is Well! Off to YouTube to have another listen . . .

      Delete
  7. Lovely playing and I was happy to tilt my head for her song, too. We love music here and Christmas time it's multiplied for sure. I have lots of favorites. We just heard recently that Joy to the World is about the 2nd coming so we read the verses again and sure enough. How wonderful to have so many singing in the choir. Hope this coming week is Merry and Bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how you can hear a song all of your life and then see something new in it? (And even more so, the Living Word of God!)

      A merry advent week for you too! And thanks for tilting your head. ;)

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing those gifts of music! Bekah is very talented. You must be so proud of her. I think my favourite Christmas hymn is Beautiful Star of Bethlehem by R. Fisher Boyce. Our church sings this in four part harmony and it thrills my heart every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosella, I would love to hear your church family sing this! There is just something about voices joined in harmony . . .

      Thanks for listening and for your kind words. I am delighted that Bekah has these gifts and that she uses them for the Lord! And I feel very blessed to have a pianist living in my house!

      Delete
    2. Rosella, I have to tell you this! This evening, we went to our son and daughter-in-law's church for a Christmas hymn sing. Guess what one of the songs was? Yes, "Beautiful Star of Bethlehem" . . . sung in such beautiful four part harmony and I thought of you immediately! These lines particularly moved me:

      Guiding the pilgrims through the night
      Over the mountains 'till the break of dawn
      Into the land of perfect day


      Thanking Him tonight for the Light of the World who will guide this pilgrim into the land of perfect day!

      Delete
    3. Oh Cheryl - thanks for sharing this with me! So sweet of you to think of me when singing this song. It brought me to tears .... I think the Carols and Christmas music is what gives me hope and gets me through these dreary and way too busy days. Hugs!

      Delete
  9. I am waaaay late to this post, but I wanted to say what a lovely voice Bekah has. I already knew she was an amazing pianist, but what a good singer too! Great job in both recitals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I will share your kind words with her!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...