As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, February 18, 2020

House Project Goals 2020


I have told you all about our completed kitchen. It was a slow remodel that took a little over three years from start to finish, but we finally checked the last thing off the list.

I gave you a report on how we did with last year's house goals . . . what we accomplished, and what we didn't.

I even told you all about our pesky wall


Now it's time for me to share our house goals for 2020: 





CONTINUE LANDSCAPING and BUILD FENCE     
We'll replace (again) the limelight hydrangea in the bed in front of the house, and then we'll move around to the south side of the house, straightening the border, tidying the beds.

We have the materials to begin a fence across the back of our property and we hope to begin soon! We have imagined our backyard as a little oasis to enjoy outside our big picture window. Since last winter, the lot that adjoins ours to the back has been sold and a new house is being built, so we think that the privacy is another incentive to start on that fence! Wasn't it Robert Frost who said, "Good fences make good neighbors?"



GET THAT PESKY WALL RIGHT     
As I told you in this post, we have another plan for that wall in the dining room! When Ron has a break between bigger projects, he will make a frame for the "Peaceable Kingdom" print. We're hoping for success this time, but one never knows!  



PAINT KITCHEN?     
This one is a "maybe."

My long time readers may remember that parts of the kitchen trim have been painted three times already. (Full story ~here~.) You may also remember that I promised Ron that, even if I didn't like it, I would not ask him to paint the kitchen again. (Well, not until it really needed painting . . . but not just because I wanted a color change.)

I am keeping that promise. I will not ask him to paint the kitchen.

But . . . 

(You knew there was a "but," didn't you?) 

But if we had seen a wonderful color at a restaurant in Lancaster . . . and if I had happened to ask the lady in the restaurant what that color was . . . and if she had kindly taken my phone number, done some research, and left a message on my answering machine with that information . . . and if Ron had mentioned that we might paint the kitchen this spring . . .

Well, what would you do? 



REMODEL MASTER BEDROOM
This is our biggest project of the year, and we're smack dab in the middle of it right now!

When we first saw Pineapple House, we knew that this would be our bedroom, even though it is not the biggest bedroom of the four. First of all, it is in a separate wing from the other bedrooms, so it is the most private. It has an adjacent bathroom, as well as a little vestibule into the wing. It is mere steps away from the kitchen and morning coffee. And it has charm with its angled ceilings, tiny windows, and mismatched closet doors! 




This is what we plan to do in the master bedroom:

1) Replace the tile ceiling with wallboard. This is what has prevented us from tackling this room before now. Replacing a ceiling is a big deal. At least, it's a messy deal. However, Ron did not want to paint the room without doing the ceiling at the same time, so we have waited. But now is the time! 

2) Paint the paneling! 🎉This will make a huge difference in this room, making it brighter, fresher, and more cheerful. We are painting it the same color as all of the walls in our house. (It is a color match of an old Valspar color, Antique White.) 

3) Paint the trim. Actually, we'd both like to paint the trim in Behr's Decorator White (the same color that we used in the other bedrooms), keeping the background color palette neutral. But the windows in this room are brown, obviously chosen to coordinate with the paneling, and I am afraid that the brown would stand out like a sore thumb against white trim. (Even if we could paint the vinyl part of the window, there are still the brown grilles between the panes.) Most likely, we will paint the trim Quaker Green (as in the vestibule outside the bedroom), although we have also considered the same tan that is in the living room (based on Linen White, an Olde Century Paint color). 

4) Replace the floor. The room had carpet, and we are not carpet people. I assumed it would be a simple thing to replace it with hardwood. Apparently I was waaaayyy out of the loop as far as flooring choices. Laminate . . . bamboo . . . engineered hardwood . . . solid hardwood (except that it is not simply lumber, but a layer of wood over a wood product) . . . too many choices! And none of them seem like "real" wood to me! Sigh . . .

5) Construct and hang wooden shutters for the three windows.  


Despite the challenging choices in remodeling this room, we are excited about having a bright and pretty bedroom soon! And it must be soon, because our Kati is coming for a visit (and a baby shower!!) in March, and Ron and I need to be out of the guest room and back in the master bedroom before she arrives!

(Nothing like a deadline for motivation.)





Those are the projects that we hope to accomplish here at Pineapple House in 2020. 

Of course, "If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that." (James 5:14)


24 comments:

  1. Exciting! Have you considered pine floors for your bedroom? The place where we got ours is still in business and its very affordable.

    If Ron is willing, then absolutely paint the kitchen! Which restaurant did you find the color in? Lampeter Cafe?

    Lots of excitement with Kati coming home for a baby shower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pine!! All of our floors in The Farmhouse were pine and I loved them. Not sure for this house though, because the rest of the floors are oak. (And there is a place where the two will meet.)

      The color was at The Kling House in Kitchen Kettle Village. We need to get to Lampeter Cafe the next time we are in Lancaster! I can't believe I forgot it the last time!

      Delete
  2. Oh it will be wonderful! That deadline is a wee bit concerning; however, this must mean that Ron is on vacation. As for repainting the kitchen...😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That deadline is making me nervous too, but it is true that a deadline is a powerful motivation! It is also true that Ron is taking a week of vacation to work on the room! I can't wait!

      I'll keep you posted on the kitchen . . . 😉

      Delete
  3. Great ideas! My BFF is a big fan of painted paneling. When we bought our current home, we had a plank ceiling installed over our popcorn ceiling. We painted it a semigloss white and it is so bright and reflective of light. I'm so glad we did that. You can see a little glimpse of it here: https://northwoodsramblings.blogspot.com/2020/02/inspired-by-grandma-part-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheri! Simply painting the existing paneling saved a lot of work, and I am happy with the look of it so far. (It has only been primed at this point, but even that makes a big difference.)

      I am heading right over to see your plank ceiling! I'll bet it is lovely!

      Delete
  4. What good ideas you have. How very nice to have a slightly separate bedroom.... And of course you should paint the kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Barbara . . . and for your encouragement to paint the kitchen!! (Maybe Ron will read this. 😉)

      Delete
  5. That master bedroom is going to be a great dramatic change! How exciting. I'm really looking forward to seeing the transformation!! I'm chuckling about the kitchen wanting to be painted...again. Love the fact that your bedroom is in it's own wing. That is one great deadline to be working towards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! I am really excited about both . . . the brighter, prettier bedroom AND Kati coming for a visit/baby shower!

      Oh dear . . . that kitchen . . . 😉😂

      Delete
  6. You've certainly thought it all out well. I tend to just go with what springs up next in my mind. Tim is much more methodical. Your bedroom will look so bright and fresh when you paint out the woodwork. I would paint the kitchen, especially with the endorsement you got from your husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorrie! Yes, I can see a lot of painting in our future. But then, painting is a (relatively) cheap decorating tool!

      Delete
  7. I like how you enjoy your home! Yes on the privacy fence. Years ago we erected a 6' wood privacy fence between us and the neighbors, best thing we ever did (they were not bad neighbors). I had the husband place the support posts on the neighbor's side so we got to enjoy the 'pretty' side. Again, best thing ever, it really made the yard finished looking and we always got compliments. Yes, paint the kitchen! Looking forward to the finished product. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, thank you for stopping by with your helpful comments and kind words! I'm encouraged to hear how happy you were/are with your fence! And (of course) I really want to hear votes for painting the kitchen! 😉😊

      Delete
  8. You have such great ideas! I think the planked ceiling in the bedroom and the painted panelling will look amazing! I love your iron bed and that beautiful chest of drawers. Yep, deadlines are the best way to get things done. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rosella! Ron loves iron beds and chose this one. I am eager to see how the room turns out too. It already looks brighter with only the coat of primer. More paint going on tomorrow! That deadline is looming large!

      Delete
  9. Wow! You have some really meaty goals. But if anyone can do it, you guys can.
    Let the remodel begin! Can't wait to see your finished bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, thank you for your vote of confidence! Ron is off this week and we are going like gangbusters on the bedroom! Having a deadline is great motivation, but it is also tiring. I think Ron will be wanting a break from projects for a little while. At least we are doing the BIG one first!

      Delete
  10. Cheryl, you always inspire me, whether it's entertaining, remodeling, homemaking skills, especially on being a mother, and grandmother! I am so looking forward to seeing the end results.
    I remember all the beautiful changes you all did on your last home, I know the new owners are enjoying the fruits of your labor.
    I was thinking of Kati the other day and wandering how she was doing, hope you share when she comes for her shower.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, thank you so much for stopping by and for your (always) kind words! If I have inspired anyone, it is all by His grace!

      Kati is doing well! I will be sure to share some shots from her visit and her baby shower. (I am a slow blogger these days . . . so many other irons in the fire . . . but it will come!)

      Praying that Mr. P continues to proceed well with his recovery!

      Delete
  11. Enjoyed reading of your future and current house projects. I realize not everyone is a "house person" but you certainly are. We are too, but not to the degree you are, nor with the capabilities you guys have! But with signs of spring, and giving up on ever having a sort of normal winter, we are thinking about the list of to-do's and preparing to start it. Spring brings that motivation. Anxious to see your bedroom re-do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely are "house people," Dotsie! At first, it was out of necessity, but now we enjoy making improvements in our spaces. One thing about it . . . it never ends; there is always something to do. 😊

      I will be sure to share the bedroom when we are finished! Flooring is being laid as we speak . . . so exciting! That's the last "big" thing in the project, and then there are a lot of little finishing touches like moldings and shutters. (Hmmm . . . maybe the shutters aren't a "little" thing . . . but not as "big" as flooring!)

      Meanwhile, life happens all around us . . .

      Delete
  12. Lovely to have such clear goals for your beautiful home in 2020. And I still absolutely love the name you've given your home. It fits perfectly.

    Happy weekend...
    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do a better job of moderating my comments . . . just retrieved this one from several weeks ago!

      Thanks for your kind words. We will continue to evaluate our goals in light of what is happening in our world today. I do know that a comfortable home is a huge blessing during these days of self isolation.

      "Grace for the day" is my prayer.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...