As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, September 25, 2020

Five On Friday | From the Antique Store

We've been on Staycation this week, getting this and that done around the house and yard. 

But yesterday was FUNday! We took a little road trip, visiting a wonderful coffee shop in the morning, a Mexican restaurant in the afternoon, and antique stores in two different towns. (Yes, that's what we do for fun!)

For Five On Friday, I thought I would show you the things that I purchased while antiquing, tell you how I chose each item, what it cost, and how I plan to use it. I love to see the thought process behind what people purchase for their homes. Maybe you enjoy it too! 




{one} silhouette
I have been keeping my eye out for some colonial silhouettes. I had one in my hand not long ago, but it felt a little too Victorian for my taste, so I left it behind. This one was just right . . . and so was the price of $18.00. So begins my collection. 

I hung it on the small wall near my front door where it will live with a sampler from my Great Aunt Minerva's home and a scherenschnitte by my artist friend Kim. Until it moves. (It could.)



{two} wreath
I really didn't need a wreath for my back door. I had a basket that I liked which just needed to be filled with something fall-ish. So when my eye was drawn to a couple of pretty wreaths in the first store we visited, I decided not to purchase. But this one said "fall" without screaming it, and it cost $7.95. I love how it looks with my green back door! 



{three} lemon squeezer
Ron loves gadgets old and new! This old lemon squeezer (on the left) joins other recent purchases of a pasta cutting wheel (we think!) and a jar lifter. It was $9.00.



{four} Early American Life magazines
I purchased these magazines for inspiration. I've already thumbed through them and have taken note of a few ideas to try. Well worth the 75-cents apiece price tag! When (if) I am finished with them, I will pass them on  or take them to recycle. 



{five} bundle of wheat
I saw a picture on Instagram last week that inspired thoughts for my Thanksgiving table this year. I love the simplicity of the white plates, white pumpkins, and wheat. It would be a departure from the bright colors I used last year, but I like to change it up a little each year, so I am considering a similar theme. I have three bundles of wheat in pots that I could use on the table, but when I saw the bundle of wheat for $10 in the antique store, I knew I could deconstruct it to have sprigs for each place setting or to strew among the pumpkins. We'll see. 

Have you made any fun or exciting purchases lately? Gotten any bargains? Do tell! 


26 comments:

  1. The kitchen tool in the middle of the 4th photo looks like an antique pie crimper to me. I have one; perhaps I should try cutting homemade pasta with it...might work just great.

    Love the silhouette...elegant and refined. All your other purchases are lovely. I watched Paige on Farmhouse Vernacular today as she shared her antique purchases. It's always fun to tag along on an antique adventure.

    You two know how to have fun! Glad that you took a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it's a pie crimper! 🙄 Ron read this post earlier this evening and before he even got to the comments he said, "Hey, that's not a pasta wheel it's a pie crimper. You should have asked me!"

      Thanks for tagging along on our adventure! We had a great time!

      Delete
  2. I love the things you have found. I agree, the kitchen tool is a pie crimper, my Grandma used to have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara! Haha . . . it looks like everyone knew a pie crimper except me! 😊

      Delete
  3. That's my kind of fun especially with a coffee stop and Mexican thrown in! Love the inspiration for the Thanksgiving table. 75 cent magazines are perfect in this $8.95-$12.95 magazine world we are living in. The silhouette is a lovely one. I like your focused style!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right . . . so many of the "right" elements for fun! I still get a couple of magazines through subscription, but the newsstand prices are crazy! Isn't that such a pretty table setting? I am not sure if they were thinking Thanksgiving, but that's the first thing I thought of! Thanks for going along!

      Delete
  4. A perfect outing day to me! I need one of these kinds of days.

    I love your finds, and that wreath is wonderful and that price amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deanna! It is refreshing to take a break from the everyday!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely outing for you and what wonderful finds! I love the wreath and the silhouette, which looks lovely where you have it. Wishing you a pleasant weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda! We had a great day of out-and-about! I hope that your weekend was pleasant too . . . as usual, I am slow in responding and the weekend is over already.

      Well, how about a lovely start to your week? :)

      Delete
  6. Well first of all your photos are always lovely! Second of all, who would want a tool to crimp pies when it's so very satisfying to do it by hand. At least I think so. I do miss being able to use regular flour, however, and GF flour does not lend itself to making a pretty pie crust. If we ever get over this Covid issue, maybe I'll be able to use regular flour to make a pie for our neighbors (whom we've still not met properly because of masks and social distancing!) :-(( Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Judy! I've never crimped pies with a tool, only my fingers . . . but then my pies are not exactly works of art! I'm sure your neighbors will be happy with their pie . . . when it comes . . .

      Delete
  7. Your outing sounds perfect to me, Cheryl. We've been staying close to home other than our morning walks. Online ordering is not the same as browsing. The silhouette looks so nice by your door. And the wreath is lovely with the green door as its background. I like your idea of the wheat and the white theme. Sounds so peaceful for these crazy times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're right, Martha Ellen. Online ordering (while I appreciate it for some things) is not the same as browsing. Wearing a mask (not to mention all of the "one way" aisles to ensure social distancing) makes shopping more challenging but I do enjoy some short "in person" shopping excursions.

      I know your walks are wonderful in so many ways, especially during these days of limitations . . . and pretty soon they will be so beautifully fall! ~swoon~

      Delete
  8. I love your style! The wreath is perfect and like you said, doesn't scream Fall. I nabbed a bouquet of wheat from our neighbour's field this summer and have been using it to present sourdough loaves to friends and family. Love the idea of decorating the Thanksgiving table with it too. You do know how to have a fun day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much, Rosella! Simple pleasures are not to be taken for granted.

      I love your idea for wheat, and I'm sure your friends and family do too!

      Delete
  9. I love this post! And I love all the wonderful things you picked out. I think your cameo and wreath are my favorites. I like your description of your wreath. I want one that doesn't scream Fall too now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becki! I love to buy second hand. It's kind of like a treasure hunt!

      Haha . . . my front door wreath is a little louder, but a loud one shows up better from the street.

      Delete
  10. Your staycation sounds just perfect, and I love your selections. I have always wanted silhouettes in my home- need to make that a reality. Your's looks �� Recent finds have included a classic art piece, a brass candlestick, various linens, and material to repurpose (curtains, tablecloths, and the like made in to aprons and bedding, for so, so cheap ��). I hope this start to fall has left you feeling refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Finding the "right" silhouettes with the "right" price is an adventure and it takes time. But I think it's fun to have something you're looking for when you go antiquing/thrifting. Sounds like your an experienced and successful second hand shopper!

      It was definitely a pleasant and refreshing first week of fall!

      Delete
  11. I love all the treasures you found , Cheryl, I am happy you were able to get out and visit some antique shops, this is one of our favorite things to do,specially in the fall,but because of Covid-19 we haven't gone, I am now motivated to take a trip to this small town near us whose main street is lined with antique shops!
    I too have been thinking white dinnerware this year if not Thanksgiving,maybe Christmas, !
    Thank you for sharing, and thank you for your sweet comment. I think of you so often.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to "see" you here, Sue . . . and so humbling and sweet to know that you think of me between visits! Thank you for your kind words. It is fun to know that other people think of table settings weeks (months!) in advance. :)

      I hope you're able to get out and do something fun! But everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with and feel good about doing. I'm afraid I have seen too little grace during this pandemic. Sigh. It feels that there are very strong feelings on both sides of the fence . . . those who feel compelled to take all measures to stay safe . . . and those who feel freedom to come and go as they please. Whatever side one is on, I would hope that God's people would have compassion and extend grace to those who feel differently.

      Yikes! I didn't mean to get on a roll. Just wanted to say that I totally understand those who wish to stay closer to home. No judging here!

      Delete
  12. Love your finds, Cheryl! Glad you had such a lovely day out during your staycation. I haven't done any in-person shopping in 7 months, but I'm pretty excited about two of my online shopping items that should arrive within the week: a tablet stand (should be perfect for zooming) and a 70-year-old book (in very good condition and at a reasonable price) that my husband has been wanting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean! It was a lovely day . . . but a great mail day is exciting too! Enjoy!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...