As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Hidden In Its Mighty Depths


Words from this poem have been coming to my mind the past couple of days. Words about The Word . . . the Book of books.


Thy Word is like a garden, Lord, with flowers bright and fair;
And everyone who seeks may pluck a lovely cluster there.
Thy Word is like a deep, deep mine; and jewels rich and rare
Are hidden in its mighty depths for every searcher there. 

Thy Word is like a starry host: a thousand rays of light
Are seen to guide the traveler and make his pathway bright.
Thy Word is like an armory, where soldiers may repair;
And find, for life's long battle day, all needful weapons there.

Oh, may I love Thy precious Word, may I explore the mine,
May I its fragrant flowers glean, may light upon me shine!
Oh, may I find my armor there! Thy Word my trusty sword, 
I'll learn to fight with every foe the battle of the Lord. 


I have learned that this poem is also a hymn (you can hear a version ~here~ or ~here~). If I was still homeschooling, I would choose this as one of our Morning Time hymns. 

Perhaps I will listen to it each morning on my own . . . 




22 comments:

  1. A lovely hymn to begin the day whether homeschooling or with morning devotionals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I had forgotten about Ralph Carmichael and his orchestra. Just went to upload a few songs to Spotify. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten too, until I went on a search for this hymn. I always love a good choir/orchestra!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow - such beautiful, life-giving words of hope and promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've sung that hymn! Beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you have sung that hymn! It is new to me.

      Delete
  5. What beautiful and uplifting words to this old hymn, one I've never heard before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. new to me... thank you.
    He is our perfect setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome!

      I first read your words: "He is our perfect settling" . . . but that too!

      Delete
  7. Oh may I love it more and more and keep mining it's depths! No way to exhaust it! I'll click over and listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved that, Cheryl! I don't think I've ever heard that hymn before. The harmony in the first link was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. {heart} I'm thankful for you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not heard those words either as a poem or a hymn. They are beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Wishing you a pleasant, peaceful weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it is my pleasure to introduce you to them! Weekend blessings to you too, Brenda!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...