As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, February 2, 2022

House Projects 2022 | Project #2



Last week, I told you about how Ron and I plan projects for the year and I told you all about Project #1. Progress was made over the weekend and, even though it is a long way from being finished, I hear the angels sing every time I walk past! The space has gone from dank and dark to cheerful and bright. It feels like our home



There will be more to come on this stairwell makeover. You're probably not hearing those angels sing yet. 😉






But now, I want to tell you about the BIG project we have coming up. 

PROJECT #2: 
SUN PORCH to SUNROOM 

Yes! We're going to close in the sun porch to essentially add another room to our house! 

Now before I begin, I will tell you that we are not going to DIY this project. We decided together that this was something that we did not want to tackle ourselves. 

Since I didn't do a post about our 2021 house goals, you do not know that this was on last year's list. Let's just say that it is more than a notion to get work done these days. On our third try (and with my good friend Barbara's recommendation), we found a contractor . . . but it took most of the year to get to this point!


~ May 2016 ~


We have a lovely sun porch on the back of our house and we have used it like crazy!

We eat meals on the porch when the weather allows. The grands often eat out there when we have family meals, unless there is rain or cold. (Heat does not dissuade them as it does me.) 
We have had ice cream parties and seafood feasts in the porch. We've even had a few photo sessions! 









When we moved into Pineapple House, there were vinyl windows over the screens. (You can see them in many of the above photos.) These windows kept out dirt and dust, and made the porch slightly warmer in the cold.

We had not been here a month when a grandchild tipped over his chair and tore one of the vinyl panels. Oops. (No shade on the grandchild; these things happen.) Over the years, others were torn while trying to lower or raise a panel. (They were especially brittle during cold.) The windows were somewhat peevish about staying on track too, often requiring a bit of a struggle for those who were trying to get them up or down. And if they weren't securely in their tracks, you could hear them banging in the wind. 

Manzy peeking out of one of the holes in the vinyl


On one particular day, early in the pandemic when we were all still on lockdown, I was struggling with adjusting the windows when all of a sudden I decided that I was not going to wrestle with those stubborn windows any. more. What good were they doing anyway with their multiple holes? They didn't look good and no longer served their purpose. I started pulling them from their tracks and piling them on the counter! Then I remembered that I hadn't asked Ron if he was okay with that, so I went to his office (he was working from home at that point), told him what I was doing, and asked if he had any objection. He didn't. (Or maybe he saw my crazed look and thought it better to let it go!)  

We put the panels in the attic in case we wanted to put them back in, but we never did. No regrets! The porch looks better without them! 




But all of that talk about vinyl windows vs. only screens really has no bearing on why we want to close in the porch.

It really all comes down to how we live in our house

  • We have a large and growing family! (We love that!)

  • We host holiday meals and birthday celebrations and other gatherings. (We love that too!) 

On a given holiday meal, we could have twenty to twenty-five people, occasionally more. So having another room with a dining table and other seating available consistently  (not just when the weather is right) will be a huge asset for us! 

We can use the extra table for seating or for serving. And the three of us can use the porch for reading or ordinary meals or morning coffee. 




One great thing about our porch is that it is already a structural part of the house. It is on the same foundation and is part of the roof line. That will make our remodel much simpler! 

Pineapple House from the back yard



We have gathered inspiration through drive-bys (although those are from the outside) and through online resources such as Pinterest and Instagram. Here is a sampling . . . 


My favorite inspiration photo!
~ Pin ~



So what are our plans for the remodel? 

We want to keep as much natural light as possible, as well as keep our traditional aesthetic, so we are going to install ten 5-foot double hung windows. We will have double French doors opening to the outside. We will also have a ductless mini-split installed for heating and air. 

We are not sure when the work will begin, but our porch currently looks like this . . . 

. . . so we are eagerly anticipating a new sunroom this spring! I'll keep you posted! 


28 comments:

  1. How very exciting, Cheryl! The stairwell project IS looking like your home. I love your vision for the sunroom. We did a similar thing on our home many years ago. We turned our porch into the most popular room in our home. It's great to have another room for when all the family and friends gather to eat or hang out. Looking forward to seeing your vision become a reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very excited about this project, Martha Ellen! It is encouraging to hear how happy you were with a similar project and how it has stood the test of time! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful area!!! Love what you're doing with it. You and your husband are a great team and love all you have done and are doing. Thanks for sharing the pictures - before and after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouraging words, GrammaGrits! I will keep you posted on the happenings, and I can't wait to share some "afters!"

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post. Enjoyed this visit. The screened in porch is wonderful, but I can see that it will be a gorgeous sunroom. All the best.
    d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deanna! We have loved it as a screened in porch, and I'm sure that it will serve us well as a sunroom!

      Delete
  4. It is already beautiful; here's to be functional as well. Growing families need more room for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vee! Yes, we are hoping to make a good thing work better for our family! We actually feel like we have a head start with the way the porch is constructed, and we're so excited about it!

      Delete
  5. A brilliant plan. You will gain so much from that extra room, and how sensible to have contractors in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara for your encouraging words! It seems like the easiest and most cost efficient way to gain some space. And, yes, I am thankful that Ron was willing to hire this work done. He's a dyed-in-the-wool DIY guy, but there is wisdom in knowing which projects are best to hire out.

      Delete
  6. That hall is looking better for sure. Glad you are enjoying the difference already. Your porch project is brilliant. I'm so glad you could find a contractor to do the work and that you could get the materials that you need. It is really going to add so much to your home and your celebrations! Woot woot...happy for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being happy for us, friend! I think we're going to be so happy that we invested in this project!

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a terrific project. I would love to have a sunroom. Not going to happen in this house, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! There's something cheerful about a sunroom, don't you think? All of the natural light? Hope you find a bright corner in your present home to soak up the light!

      Delete
  8. That sounds wonderful! We have talked about enclosing our back porch and making a dining room out of it, but don't know if it will ever happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! We've been talking about the possibility of closing in our porch since we moved here. But the time is right and we are grateful for it!

      Delete
  9. Chery, I loved your screened porch and thought, Oh no! But your plan for the new sunroom is fabulous. I know I'm going to love it even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of feel the same way, Jean! I think I'm going to love it more!

      Delete
  10. What a great plan to add more functionality to your home! Doesn't it just make your heart skip a beat when you walk by a small, but much improved part of your home - like the stair hall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorrie! And, yes! I literally sing an "angelic tune" when I walk through that little hallway. Ron shakes his head, but I think he's amused. 😉

      Delete
  11. I have no doubt it's going to look just as beautiful as the rest of your house. Good luck with that project, and of course can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words! I will be sure to share along the way ...

      Delete
  12. It’s going to be gorgeous! Will you open it up more into the house or will the opening be the same! I love the windows you’ll be using, and the French doors!

    Now I’m anxious to get moving on the addition here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna! We're pretty excited about it! We won't be able to open it up more because there is a brick wall between the porch and the living room. I suppose I could sacrifice my big multipaned window, but I can't part with it!

      I can't wait for your addition too! I love house-y things . . . mine or anyone else's!

      Delete
  13. Oh, this is very exciting, Cheryl. I will enjoy seeing pictures and reading what you do. We have a nice sunroom, but it's not heated. I'd love to put new flooring out there (there's just old indoor/outdoor carpeting at the moment), and a source for heating at least so the room could be useable in the winter. I will be interested in reading how you enjoy the ductless mini-split. I hadn't even considered that option here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being excited with me, Becki! Sometimes there is a long thinking process before you figure it all out, isn't there? I will be sure to keep you posted!

      Delete
  14. This is so exciting, I so look forward to the finished sunroom, Cheryl!
    We are busy with a few outside projects, but are in need of a few inside projects!
    What wonderful memories will continue to be made, and with the heat and cooling system it can now be year round!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing our excitement, Sue! We will be thrilled to be able to use the room year round!

      Oh boy . . . there are always projects, inside or out! Have fun with yours!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...