As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, September 15, 2022

ANTIQUING: Top Finds of the Summer


In spite of the whirlwind pace of our summer, I was able to squeeze in several antiquing adventures . . . some with my good friend and antiquing partner Barbara, and some with Bekah who also enjoys antiquing and has a great eye! 

Today, I'll tell you about two fantastic bargains that I found this summer. (I'm saving my favorite find for a separate post. ~ swoon ~)



BARGAIN #1

In an upstairs cranny of an antique store, there lay a white matelassé coverlet. It had a lovely pattern, so I peeked at the price. The tag said full/queen matelassé with four shams . . . for $18.00! What?

There were only two shams with the coverlet (I asked at the register, but no one knew about the other two), but no worries! I really only needed two and the price was amazing, so I gladly paid and brought the set home with me. It washed up beautifully and I put it on the pineapple post bed in the guest room. 


s





BARGAIN #2

Inspired by the stone fruit collections that I had seen on Instagram, I purchased my first piece a couple of years ago and began my own collection. Although I have seen some that cost far more, I had paid fifteen or twenty dollars for the pieces that I bought.

In fact, I had bought a stone apple for $15 that very morning in July. Barbara and I had visited one store and were waiting for another to open, when she suggested that we go to a thrift store that she had seen but had never been to. We needed to use some time, so we decided to give it a try. 

As we browsed, my eye caught sight of a basket of fruit. It looked like stone fruit, but it couldn't be, could it? 

I picked up a piece . . . and it was stone! And then I looked at the price and each piece was ONE dollar! And (can you believe this?) . . . it was half-price day at the thrift store that day, so each piece was actually fifty cents




I chose six pieces of fruit, including an apricot and a fig, neither of which I had ever seen for sale, and more than doubled my collection! 




I am so happy with my bargains! Which reminds me of a cRaZy autocorrected text I once sent to Kati . . . 



Because doesn't everyone love a good Bahrain? 😂



18 comments:

  1. Beautiful bed cover. They always look so good when washed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara! This one washed up like a dream!

      Delete
  2. Autocorrect can be quite comical, even shocking.

    Those were some lovely finds. The coverlet looks wonderful on the bed and those stone fruit look far more realistic than some wax varieties, I may have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Vee! Some of the stone fruit looks amazingly realistic. I've had grandchildren touch it to see if it's real.

      Autocorrect can be hilarious! It feels so random at times . . .

      Delete
  3. You certainly hit the jackpot of bargains, Cheryl! How perfect the matlasee spread looks on your lovely bed in the Pineapple House! And the stone fruit looks so nice in your dough bowl. Antiquing is so much fun. I'm looking forward to seeing your favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen! It was the jackpot for sure! I'm sure that my jaw dropped when I saw the price of the fruit. I find antiquing more fun than "new" shopping. It's like a treasure hunt of sorts.

      I can't wait to share my favorite. It has a story . . .

      Delete
  4. Oh, that matelasse coverlet is a real find! It looks beautiful on your bed. Autocorrect can be hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorrie! Oh yes, autocorrect can be hilarious! It's sometimes the beginning of family idioms. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh I love your coverlet Cheryl - what an amazing find. Your fruit as well. Glad you had such wonderful success. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie! They were both exciting finds! Hugs back to you . . .

      Delete
  6. Fabulous deal on the coverlet and so pretty on your guest bed. Would love to go antiquing with you. Sharon Dominy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon! It would be SO much fun to go antiquing with you!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful finds, Cheryl, your coverlet looks brand new, and the stone fruit is precious, I have found some very nice things at thrift stores,.
    I so enjoyed reading your gathering of summer moments, so many precious moments were lived and captured in photos!
    Hope Beka is doing well, so happy you and Ron didn't get the virus, it hit dh and I in July, he recovered rather quickly but it has taken a bit longer for me to regain my strength.
    Always a joy to visit with you.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! It was exciting to find those bargains. But all of those summer moments with my loved ones are the real treasures!

      Bekah has fully recovered . . . aside from an altered sense of smell. (Hopefully, that won't last much longer. It seems to be improving a little.) I am so sorry that you and Mr. P. were hit with the virus. Praying that you have soon regained your full strength!

      It is always lovely to have a visit from you, friend!

      Delete
  8. What a bargain finding banner day! That coverlet is really something and is perfect in that room! I like it when a shopping day yields fun bargains. Woke up way too early here in the UK so I have some time to catch up with blogs. We'll be walking to a church service later this morning. Hope we picked a solid church. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! It was actually two different days, but both with my friend Barbara. And both were great because it's so much fun to find a bargain!

      I hope that you had a wonderful time of worship with God's people today!

      Delete
  9. Wowee! Those are some beautiful treasures! And bargains! I've never seen stone fruits before, but now they are on my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becki! It is a thrill to find such great bargains! I think I was grinning at the thrift store checkout . . .

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...