As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, February 15, 2023

True Love

 



It was our very first Valentine's Day as husband and wife . . . and I was sorely disappointed!

I had had high expectations. Surely my new hubby had some sort of romantic plan for this special day. After all, when we were dating, he had given me sweet cards, a locket, perfume, and candy. He would certainly do no less now that we were married!

Oh, but he did.

Nothing.

I was working that year as a teaching assistant. As I sat in the teachers' lounge on my break, all the ladies were talking about their flowers and candy and cards and plans for dinner . . . and I, the newlywed, had nothing to share. I was not a happy woman.

Over the years, we both have learned a lot about expectations and what makes the other one happy and sacrificial love. It is not always mushy-gushy, but caring and tenderness.






We have had a rough ten days. My dad fell hard twice as a result of heart "pauses," had a pacemaker put in, has some broken bones, and is very frail. As of tonight, he is here at our house where he will receive home health and therapy. Our whole family has pulled together in every way possible. Our church family and our friends have been supportive and have prayed many prayers for us. Our God has been faithful! We feel incredibly blessed!




But back to my Valentine . . .
TRUE LOVE searches for Vanilla Coke and makes sure there is a cold one in the fridge for me to take with me to the hospital.
TRUE LOVE is running the vacuum and doing the laundry while I am staying with my dad in the hospital and rehab.
TRUE LOVE is praying for me when I am beyond tired and being my sounding board and offering wise advice.
TRUE LOVE is caring for my parents as his own and opening our home to them.




So yes, the newlywed who wanted romance and roses has learned a lot.

I have learned what true love is.





I will be scarce here in Blogland for a while. It is a season that demands adjustment of priorities. Please know that I am thinking of you!  I will probably check in with my blogging friends from time to time, although I may read and sneak away without chatting. I'm sure you'll understand. ♥



15 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet post, Cheryl. I'm sorry your dad is having health problems. It hurts to read he fell twice and broke bones. That would be rough on a younger person. I will pray for health and healing for him, and strength and stamina for the rest of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so hard. You will be much needed. Keeping you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed I will understand. May your dad recover well under your tender care.

    Yes, you have learned what true love is...a cold coke, vanilla, of course, among other things.

    Thinking of and praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True love is when you have to put the needs of your elderly parents first and then your husband and kids...and they understand that and support you. Hope your dad gets better soon. The pacemaker will bring improvement to his well-being.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that is true love and the most treasured kind of love. May God help and sustain you all as your honor your father and mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you friend in this season. Lots of challenges, but love will carry you through. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you as you tend to your dear father and family! True love indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wise words about love. We all have a lot to learn about real love in marriage when we say "I do" and we don't have a clue! Prayers for you and your family, especially your dad. Miss your blogs but fully understand. Blessings . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love and prayers for everyone as your Dad recovers, and as caregivers! I too was the recipient of such true love recently and all through our marriage! Dh and I always say, "we are a team."
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Cheryl, I'm sorry for your Dad's frailty just now. Praying for you as you help out where needed.
    My Valentine is much like yours, and I've had to adjust expectations, as well. I did get a bouquet of flowers this year. But he does so many other things for me that I have to remember love is shown in myriads of ways.
    Blessings on all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TRUE love is indeed so much more than flowers and candy. How blessed are we to have learned what it truly looks like. Praying for comfort for your dad and hugs and prayers for you as you navigate this new chapter of life. ❤️🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheryl, I'm so sorry about the news of your dear dad. Hard days for him and for you all. Wishing you His grace and strength through the days ahead. I enjoyed your sweet Valentine's post. Heart hugs, Brenda xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad's health issues. Praying for you and your family. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just peeking in...ongoing prayers and much love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry about your Father's health difficulties! Your description of true love is wonderful. God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...