As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, January 18, 2024

"Our God Will Go Before Us"


I often think of this verse in Exodus as I stand at the beginning of a new year. It is true at the beginning of a year . . . and it is also true at the beginning of every day and every moment. 

Last year held much that I did not see coming, and there were times that I felt like I was drowning in my circumstances. But His presence did go with me. He gave me grace (and is still the giver of grace) for each difficult moment. 

This song speaks of those Scriptural principles. That God will go before us. That His presence goes with us. That He is with us always, even to the end of the age

And so, this song became the anthem of last year. I listened to it. I sang it. I meditated on it. I played it in my van every day as I drove to the nursing home to visit my dad. I never knew what I was going to face or how I was going to handle it, and I needed the fortitude that came from knowing that my God was going before me. 

I know that I am not alone. Many of you faced difficult circumstances in 2023. And we will encounter more difficulties as we walk on our journey. Some of them may seem impossible. But He has promised to go before His children and never to leave them. 

May you know His presence in this new year! 









Technical note: 

I am suddenly unable to comment on my own blog (or anyone else's!) through my Google account. I have tried to figure it out, but ~
ugh~ I am not techie and I am befuddled. I even considered ending my blog journey, but 1) I value the friends I have made along the way and don't want to lose touch and 2) I love the outlet of musing and chronicling our journey, even if it's only for posterity or my own records, so I am planning to plod on.

That said, I will be commenting as "Anonymous" unless a blogging miracle happens. 



20 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful and encouraging message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you found it so, Mrs. White!
      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  2. That is a good verse to contemplate at the beginning of the new year or before any major decision we have in life. So sorry that you are having some issues with commenting and google. Oye. I'm thankful you will continue on with blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to imagine going forward without His presence, isn't it?!

      Technical things are not my forte. Thank you for your encouragement to continue!

      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  3. Ugh, I hate the technical stuff like this! I hope somehow it just corrects itself. I haven’t been able to comment as me for a long time but as I type this, it appears I can… and I have no idea how or what changed! Love the message and that you will continue to blog! ❤️🙏🏻❤️🙏🏻❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it too! It is so frustrating when nothing (that I can see) has changed. Blogger seems so capricious! Thank you so much for your encouragement, Linda! ❤️
      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  4. The knowledge that God is with us and goes before us is something I've clung to for much of my adult life. What a comfort to know that nothing surprises Him. I hope the blogging issues soon sort themselves out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, that is a true comfort, Lorrie!
      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  5. What a comfort to know that God goes before us as we live our earthly lives. I'm always uplifted by your reminders, my friend. And I am so glad you will continue to share your thoughts here. I have contemplated the same and would miss the friends that share their thoughts. Hopefully all the technical issues will be solved soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could we go on without that comfort, Martha Ellen? I thank you for your kind encouragement and I am glad that you, too, continue to blog and keep those connections!
      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  6. I dont think I could function if I didnt have that faith and knowledge. Thank you for a beautiful post. Please dont stop blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Barbara . . . I feel that too! How could we go on?
      Thank you for your encouragement, friend!
      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this beautiful song!!! It's new to me but so meaningful. "We are not alone". Blessings to you ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praising the Lord that we are not alone, Rosella! I am still singing this song . . .
      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  8. What a lovely song, thank you for sharing. Their music is still so faithful to God.
    Yes, please continue to Blog.... Instagram is a quick spot for a short note, but so unpredictable as to whether they will keep your account or not. :)
    Blessings on our days together as we serve God and our families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love much of the Gettys' music!
      I enjoy Instagram, but You have a point about it being unpredictable! And, really, blogging is better for musing and and for chronicling. Thank you, Melissa, for your encouragement to keep going (anonymous or not)!
      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it too!
      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  10. The google issue has been plaguing me for over a year. It was never a problem on the computer just my tablet but now it's both places.

    This song and verse is so powerful and we need to be reminded of it!

    Deanna Rabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frustrating, isn't it?! I am sorry that you are having that same issue.

      Agreed! It is a powerful truth and we need frequent reminders!

      ~ Cheryl

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...