As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, May 6, 2011

The Thorn

Yesterday our homeschool co-op met at a local park for our end of the year finale.  It was a beautiful day, and a beautiful setting...

plenty of space,


green lawns for picnicking,


lots of nature trails,


meandering creeks,


a small island in the creek which can be reached by a wooden bridge,
Random fishermen...not our co-op students ~grin~


and even gentle hills for rolling!


However, the lovely day was marred for one little boy.  Andrew took a tumble, and came up with a tiny thorn embedded in his palm.  It was big enough to see, but not protruding enough to pull it out.  Tweezers didn't work, an ice pack didn't numb the pain, tape wouldn't grip it, and the idea of sterilized needle surgery when they arrived at home was not a comfort to little Andrew.  He was miserable. 

One mom went on a mercy mission to the nearest pharmacy and returned with Neosporin Plus which contains a topical analgesic along with antibacterial ointment.  (Moms, don't leave home without it!)  That did the trick!  Not only did it quickly numb the pain (enough that Andrew scampered off to rejoin the running, climbing children), but it apparently allowed the thorn to slide right out of the skin, because Andrew dashed over to the picnic area a bit later to triumphantly announce that the thorn was gone! 

Thank you, Lord.  Now Andrew (and his mom) can enjoy the rest of the day. 


Last night as I was reflecting on our day, I thought of the words from Twila Paris's song... "Thank you for this thorn." 

What?  Thank you? For the thorn? 
As little Andrew's flesh was pierced with the thorn, it did not seem a cause for thanks.  We were thankful when it was gone, but were we thankful when it made him suffer? 

Ah, but in the spiritual realm, are we to be thankful for thorns?  The irritation, the suffering, the pain? 

In his second letter to the Corinthians, Paul said,
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
Our Lord's answer was this...
My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.
Was Paul thankful for his thorn?
Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
Am I able to say that I take pleasure in infirmities? In necessities? In persecution or distress?


Am I able to say this to Him?
Thank you, loving Father, for this thorn, the thorn that causes pain and suffering. Thank you for what it is accomplishing in my life. I find your grace sufficient.


:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

THIS THORN
Twila Paris

Thank you for this torn embedded in my flesh
I can feel the mystery, my spirit is made fresh
You are sovereign still and forever wise
I can see the miracle opening my eyes

To a proud heart so quick to judge
Laying down crosses and carrying grudges
The veil has been torn
And I thank you for this thorn

Thank you for this thorn, fellowship of pain
Teaching me to know you more, never to complain
Thank You for this love planted in my side
Faithful patient miracle opening my eyes

I never thought I'd say it without reservation
But I am truly grateful for this piercing revelation
Of a proud heart so quick to judge
Laying down crosses and carrying grudges
The veil has been torn
And I thank you for this thorn

And if You chose to take it, I will praise You
And thank You for the healing in Your name
But if it must remain, I thank You for Your rod
Evidence of Father-love for a child of God

I join You in sorrow
So much less than You have borne
And I thank you, really I thank You
Lord I thank You, I thank You for this thorn


*** Click ~ here ~ to listen to Twila Paris sing this beautiful song.        


1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous place to get your revelation of the thorn. Thank you for sharing your thought provoking words...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...