As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, August 19, 2011

Legacy of Love

The day after my father-in-law passed away, the family was gathered at his home, collecting photographs, looking for needed paperwork, reminiscing.  My brother-in-law discovered a letter that Dad had written to his fiancée (who would later become his wife) as he served in the Army Air Force during World War II. 

Max read the letter aloud, as we all listened attentively to this voice from the past.  Max's voice caught a bit as he read, for at the close of the letter, Dad had written to Mom, "I will love you as long as I live."

My eyes filled with tears as I heard that declaration, for he had meant those words, and he was true to them.  In his later years, she who had once been the beloved war time fiancée had to take on more and more responsibility as she cared for him and attended to his needs.   But he loved her for it, and I had heard him weep as he thanked her for her faithful care. 



Today, I have been married for thirty-three years to the son of the man who declared, "I will love you as long as I live." And that legacy of love continues, for I am loved.

So today I say to my husband...

I am so blessed to be your wife. I love you, and I thank you for loving me with a life-long love.

4 comments:

  1. This is so endearing, Cheryl. You have such a beautiful way of expressing your heart. How meaningful to have sat and listened to those words from your father-in-law, written so many years ago ... and to have the benefit of the backward view, knowing that love had remained strong and faithful, just as promised.

    I rejoice with you over your thirty-three years of wedded love. How beautiful and tender of God to have given you and Ron to each other.

    Happy Anniversary !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teary again. It's O.K., I have a tissue.

    Happy Anniversary dear couple! I love love. I love marriage. I love family. It's amazing how wise my God is. And He shows US wise when we believe Him and cling to what is GOOD!

    I too am thankful for parents who have loved a lifetime and passed on a legacy of commitment and .. Love.

    Enjoy your day together!

    Hugs, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. so very precious! thank you for sharing this wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay you made me cry! Thank you both for your story of faithfulness. I love knowing that story about Ron's parents. Beautiful!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...