As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Weeping

Minutes after I published this post about our birthday celebration, I learned that my dear friend's husband had passed away.  Once again, I am contemplating the dichotomy of rejoicing and weeping

What a season this has been.  A season of rejoicing and weeping indeed.  I do not think that I have ever experienced such a swinging back and forth of joy and sorrow, over and over, in such a short time.  One's heart can hardly keep up. 

But today is a day of weeping. 

My friend has lost her husband, her partner, her soulmate.  After his diagnosis of metastatic malignant melanoma in late June, shortly after the graduation of their son Hunter and our daughter Kati, Joanie and Gene have walked a difficult path, and that path that was much shorter than anyone had expected.  Today, Gene's suffering is over, and because He knew Jesus, he has gone home to eternal rest. 

No, the weeping is not for him.  It is for my  friend, and for their adult children, as they walk a new path, without the husband and father that they loved and honored.  It is not a path that they would have chosen, but it is theirs to walk. 

In these two short-long months, we have hugged, talked, broken bread together, prayed, and chatted on Facebook into the wee hours of the night.  That is what we do in the Body of Christ.  We "rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep."   (Romans 12:15)


Grace. 

We depend on His grace to carry us through the joy and the sorrow, the rejoicing and the weeping.  It is all by His grace. 

"Yes, I will run the race, till I see Your face, Oh let me live in the glory of Your grace!"
 

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Cheryl...

    You are having a time. But as usual your testimony in sorrow just as in joy, is pure and inspiring. I've lifted a prayer for your dear friend and her family and will continue to do so. When I 'see' you I'll be reminded. Continue to press into Him and cling to the truth that this is not our home... Praise Him!

    Hugs and Blessings to you, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same book? No way! ;)

    incredulously, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cheryl, You have had quite a season, I am so sorry for your friend, I will be praying for her and her family and for you as you weep with her, as you both run to Him hand in hand.
    There are not enough words to tell you how this song has ministered to me today."I will run the race until I see His face." God's Grace" no words to describe the magnitude of it.

    I have so missed not being able to visit, but as you say friends need not explain. I do treasure you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is Cheryl today? I love that your thumbnail photo is always happy but it may give a false sense to your friends... Still praying for yours!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...