As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Story to Live By

I read this story last night via a daily e-mail update to which I subscribe.  Oh my. 

Some 250 years ago William Law* portrayed a "very prosperous and busy young tradesman" who was "about to die in his thirty-fifth year." The young man had this to say to the friends who came to express their sympathy:

You look upon me with pity, not that I am going unprepared to meet the Judge of quick and dead, but that I am to leave a prosperous trade in the flower of my life.... And yet what folly of the silliest children is so great as this?

Our poor friend Lepidus died...as he was dressing himself for a feast. Do you think it is now part of his trouble that he did not live till that entertainment was over? Feast and business and pleasures and enjoyments seem great things to us-but as soon as we add death to them they all sink into an equal littleness....

If I am now going into the joys of God, could there be any reason to grieve that this happened to me before I was forty years of age? Could it be a sad thing to go to heaven before I had made a few more bargains or stood a little longer behind a counter?

And if I am to go amongst lost spirits, could there be any reason to be content that this did not happen to me till I was old, and full of riches...? Now that judgment is the next thing that I look for, and everlasting happiness or misery is come so near to me, all the enjoyments and prosperities of life seem vain and insignificant....

But my friends, how I am surprised that I have not always had these thoughts...! What a strange thing it is that a little health or the poor business of a shop should keep us so senseless of these great things that are coming so fast upon us!

Does this impact you as it does me?  Oh, to live with this eternal perspective! 
 
(Entire article found ~here~.)

*This William Law (1686-1761), British cleric, professor, and writer...not to be confused with the William Law who was a President of the Latter Day Saints.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What is wrong with us that our perspective is so here and now when we have the riches of heaven as our inheritance? I look forward to reading the rest of the article when I get back Saturday night... but for now...

    I leave in just a half and hour! I'll think of you each morning when I would normally be visiting you Cheryl. :( I'll catch up with you when I get back! :) I have scheduled a few posts to get through the rest of the week. So, you can pretend I'm still here!! ;)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! if we all could have this perspective, Cheryl, I will read the entire article. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...