As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, October 9, 2012

{31 Days of Hospitality} Day 9 ~ Challenges

Not to Impress, But to Bless


Can you think of someone for whom you think that hospitality is easy?  That certain someone whose home is open and warm and welcoming?  That friend who makes it look effortless?  

I have a theory.  I'll bet that even that person faces challenges in entertaining, a thing or two that causes her concern or makes her confidence waver.  

Today, I am going to share some of my own hospitality challenges, and in the next few days, I will tell you how I have overcome them, or how I am continuing to overcome them.  




Challenge #1:  
Having people over when the house was unfinished (as in, only a room or two was even in use).

Challenge #2:
Worrying about keeping the conversation flowing.  

Challenge # 3:
Finding a convenient time.

Challenge #4:
Indecision about the menu. 







Do you know someone who seems to have it all together when it comes to hospitality?
What are your challenges to entertaining?  

6 comments:

  1. This will be an interesting approach, Cheryl. I'll look forward to reading/learning.

    One of my major challenges is just DOING IT! Once the invitation is issued, I seem to be able to go from there...but just making the decision, setting the date/time is where I too frequently procrastinate.

    Silly, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the ones you mention are my bugaboos as well. I'll be reading with interest.

    My sister is the most open, warm, gracious hostess I know. She is a lot like my mother was in that regard. My mother practiced hospitality as often as she could. Someday, I must write my own post about what I have learned from them (though I'm not very good at applying it). This speaks to a certain selfishness in my own personality that I am not thrilled about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good series! We do a lot of entertaining and I get the comment a lot, "but it's so easy for you!"

    Um....no it isn't! :)

    I'm pinning this....a lot of people would benefit from it.

    Thanks, Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would've named YOU, Cheryl! :-D

    Or my two friends Beth and Beth! Both of them always have welcoming homes!

    Speaking of hospitality... We've got some late night visitors headed our way right now. But they're bringing dinner!!! Reverse hospitality?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Barbara both make hospitality look easy. My biggest challenge is actually inviting people over. Everything else seems to fall into place but actually extending the invitation for some reason is most difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother in law has a gift for hospitality! She loves to have people over and to serve them! I have learned so much from her.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...