As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Hidden Art of Homemaking {Chapter 13: Integration}


It's summer, I'm a stay-at-home mom, and our homeschool is not in session.  So why am I having a hard time getting everything done? I hope you're not expecting me to answer this question, because I am still trying to figure it out myself. But the truth of it is that I am behind, at least in my expectations. 

I missed last week's book club post, so I am going to publish two posts today, to finish up the last two chapters of The Hidden Art of Homemaking.





Chapter 13: Integration

While Mrs. Schaeffer begins this chapter with that great day when people from "all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues" will be before the throne of God in worship (Rev. 7:8-10), she ends it with a practical view of how integration can look in the home, as "hidden art." As we do not live in a perfect world, but one that is marred by sin and by separation on many levels, the home is one place in which we can integrate (bring together) people. 

Mrs. Schaeffer focuses on the age segregation which is so prevalent in our society, our churches, and even our homes. It is the "norm" to divide people according to their ages. As long time homeschoolers, we no longer see that as "normal" but have embraced a more natural (and I do mean natural) lifestyle of age integration, one in which all ages (from the littlest grandchild to the great-grandparents) are included and respected. Although the children often eat at their own table (mostly because we don't have one table big enough to seat everyone, and they like to sit together), that is where it ends. I am also thankful for a home fellowship in which everyone is included and we break Bread together, both literally and figuratively. So much is lost when each generation is banished to its own corner. How do the younger ones glean the wisdom of the ages? How are the older ones inspired by the youth? How is a broad spectrum of ideas and relationships encouraged if we do not share time and space?

I could easily go on and on about this (in fact, whole books have been written about this very subject), but I will stop here and move on to the final chapter.




 

Continuing the book club discussion of The Hidden Art of Homemaking at Ordo Amoris...
Click ~here~ for all the posts in the discussion. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cheryl :) I, too, was a week late in posting. I could have written your first paragraph!
    I'm so glad you found the time to post your thoughts. I always am encouraged by what you have to share. We are enjoying a season of growth in our family and while it makes life a bit more chaotic at times, it brings abundant joy, too. One of my favorite things in life is to have EVERYONE gathring around our table(s) - 18 and counting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...