As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Weekend Snapshots: A L-o-n-g Weekend with a Beautiful Ending!


On Saturday afternoon, Ron answered a phone call from our daughter Kristin. Of course, we have been on Baby Watch, and so my ears perked up! Her water had broken, but they had company (what?!) and they were going to eat (what?!) and she would call back when she was ready for me to come to stay with the children. (How about now?!)

How do you proceed with your day when you're waiting for such a thing? 

After sitting by the phone for a while, we decided that we'd go to Chick-fil-A and have an early dinner. We ate and lingered and were regaled by stories from the dining room host. Still no call. (What?! Don't you remember that you have an hour's drive to the hospital?!) We called "to let them know where we were" (but really to find out what was happening there) and arranged that Bekah and I would arrive around 7:30. 

We arrived...to an excited household and a calm and happy mommy-to-be. (Whew!) All of the pre-labor jitters were ours, not theirs. 



All was well as they showed me the girls' freshly painted bedroom, gave the children good-bye hugs, and headed off to the hospital, via a stop for gas. 



Brian called later to let us know that Kristin had been admitted, but that it looked like it would be a long night. (So there really was no rush to get to the hospital. We grandparents get a little more uptight than the parents, I suppose.) We all went to bed, hoping that there would be a baby by morning. 

No baby by morning. 

After breakfast and chores, I brought the children to our house. We went to church, ate spaghetti and meatballs, played games...and waited...and waited. Every time the phone would ring or a text would come, our faces lit up, only to have our shoulders sag when we realized it was someone else who wanted news. 

Finally, the news we were waiting for! She had arrived at 4:14 pm! 

Within an hour, we were all headed to the hospital to meet our new sister/niece/granddaughter. 


Macie Violet,
our newest little blessing


I don't have pictures of the children with their new baby sister, because all of us were not allowed in the room at the same time, and we let the five of them go first. I do have sibling photos of Macie's first moments at home which I will share another day.




Yesterday, Macie and her parents came home to begin life as a family of eight.

And now we await the arrival of our son and his family this weekend!

It is not an uneventful, tea-sipping, movie-watching, clean-out-the-closet kind of January here! The new year is off with a bang!


24 comments:

  1. How exciting! What a little sweetie - and I adore her name. Hope you gets lots and lots of cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how absolutely wonderful!!! A sweet little blessing and a wonderful "waiting" story by her dear Grandmother. Happy New Year .....God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...Macie is absolutely adorable and I love the name! Congratulations to all! God is GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! We grandparents worry more, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH HAPPY DAY!! Congratulations! Nothing quite as exciting as the days baby's come. Yes, I think us grandparents tend to get anxious quicker, lol. Though I think I could use a birth experience like the one you just had sometimes. Melody's have all been HURRY HURRY HURRY and barely getting there in time, lol. I'll never forget my lightening quick drive down unlighted country roads in the middle of the night in the midst of a giant rain storm, lol. ENJOY that new sweet baby and gift from our awesome God!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! What a precious January gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful news! My daughter said their quiver was full with five children. But our son and his wife are expecting. I can finally announce it on my blog! Babies are such a gift but grand babies are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Macie Violet - a new miracle for a new year!
    Beautiful photos Cheryl what a special family you have!
    Blessings to you all.
    Shane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to all! She is beautiful! Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, Cheryl, what a beautiful blessing to you and your family! Congratulations! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to all! She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was waiting to hear that the baby was born enroute, as you know a third (?) can come quickly! Congratulations! How blessed you are to have your family all so close by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is baby #6 for them! And, yes, we are feeling very blessed!

      Delete
  13. Oh happy happy joy joy! Another sweet blessing for your family. What a lovely name. I can't imagine waiting around like that! They sure look calm. Are they go with the flow types? Is it three and three now? 3 boys, 3 girls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, they are definitely not "go with the flow" types! They are very disciplined and organized. I suppose they just knew that things were under control at that point, as indeed they were. Kristin typically has long, slow labors.

      That said, I could certainly breathe easier knowing that they were on their way! :)

      Delete
  14. Congratulations! And thanks for sharing the event with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is beautiful, little Macie Violet is. Looking forward to seeing the siblings with the new baby photos. I know they are precious. Praying that all goes very smoothly and well for the family of eight. Sounds as if your daughter and son-in-law have everything under control. Warm congrats all around!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blessings and congratulations on the arrival of newest member of the family. How wonderful to be part of a miracle unfolding!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blessings and congratulations on the arrival of newest member of the family. How wonderful to be part of a miracle unfolding!

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Stop for gas." What?! Not having the tank full every day for at least a month seems a little 'casual' for me! :D Macie is beautiful, lovely family! Thanks for sharing your news with us. Nothing nearly that exciting going on in MY January!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my GOODNESS! What exciting news! Congratulations to you all. I love the name they chose, it's so beautiful. I also love the calmness that apparently comes from having multiple kids! Even after two babies of my own, I can't imagine being calm enough to eat dinner, show off the rooms, and stop for gas. Haha! She's a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!!! What an amazing family!! Beautiful name! Beautiful baby and beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a darling name for that sweet new granddaughter! I do think that we as parents of the mama are always a bit on edge. So glad all turned out so wonderful. Many blessings await.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...