As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, October 11, 2016

A Week in Review {Bookended with Parties}



Ron was off last week. In stark contrast to his October vacation last year (which he "mostly spent in the recliner with his foot propped up"), this year he was as busy as a bee! The week was full of house projects and was bookended by parties on both weekends!




On October 1st, we hosted a "Thank the Movers" party. Many people had worked so hard to help us with our move back in April...from packing to providing meals to lots of pulling and hauling (literally). We wanted to express our thanks in some small way, so we decided to host a dessert buffet for all the movers and their families. (Some of you wondered about the details of the party. I'm working on a post in which I let you into my brain as I pondered and planned.)












When Monday morning rolled around, the projects began!

The main goal for the week was to take out the cooktop in our kitchen and replace it with the double oven range that we had brought with us from The Farmhouse. We had purchased the new range last Thanksgiving week after the oven door broke on our twenty-five-year-old range. For years, Ron had talked about having a double oven and we had only had it for five months when we moved, so it was the one appliance that we brought with us. It had been biding its time in the garage since April, but we knew that we wanted the new range in time for Thanksgiving.

We (and when I say "we" I mean Ron) had to take out the cooktop, remove a lower cabinet, run a new wire, remove the lower exhaust vent, patch the wall and siding, and cut out part of the countertop to make room for the range. By mid-week, we went from this...


to this. 


There is lots more that we want to do in our kitchen, but we'll chip away at it one project at a time. For now, I am thrilled to have my range!

Other projects of the week included laying mulch, planting a crepe myrtle tree, repairing a drain pipe, replacing a piece of fascia on the garage, and some exterior painting (lamp post, garage door, fascia).

(Unplanned project: Going to the paint store THREE times before getting the color right!)




On Sunday, it was back to party mode as we celebrated the October birthdays:

my dad's 79th

and our grandson Ben's 8th.




The boys got a kick out of the tiny guest (beggar). Maddie gave her some vegetable beef soup (although not at the table). :)

Macie's "bunny face" 











As we enjoy this autumn season and all its joys - days for work, days for celebration - I can't help but think back to last autumn and what we were doing and what was yet to come. So much has changed, but the Lord has been faithful!

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning
James 1: 2-4, 17

9 comments:

  1. rich blessings .. how very wonderful
    this post is, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That new stove looks just right in that spot. Isn't it nice to have a handy man around? October is starting out well with your family celebrations. Love the sweetie holding the car and the bear. And that bunny face...seriously...too cute. So glad this fall is looking so different from last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy post! Your new stove looks wonderful in place. I thought the double oven was going to be one of those stoves with one oven on top and one on bottom. This is great only taking up the same amount of space as a normal stove. Your husband did a fantastic job.

    Your gatherings are always a delight to view and read about.

    Happy Autumn ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy seeing your family celebrations. Indeed, what a difference a year makes. In thing to take from Ron's and your story is that just because we are ill or feeling poorly today does not mean that this is the "new normal." I must tell myself that each day that I limp home from the ranch. =D

    Your dad looks very pleased with his cake! Happy Birthday to him and Ben!

    Darling picture of Alaine and Macie, but oh that dear one of your little grandson holding his truck and also his teddy bear by the neck, That's love right there and looks like the dearest of Christmas cards. Framing is in order! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing to take...in thing? Good heavens!

      Meant also to say how good the kitchen looks with your new double oven just in time for the holidays!

      Delete
  5. Thinking of all your family had been through, isn't God merciful that he doesn't show us the future but is there beside us, guiding us through it! I laughed at your statement 'by we, I mean Ron.' The same is true in our house. 'We' installed a new window yesterday. Lol. So glad you have your kitchen range. We're having Thanksgiving here this weekend and I'm glad to have oven space. As always, I enjoyed your family photos and the birthdays. God bless your day, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful to look back and to see God's faithfulness and strength. Your family celebration looks delightful.

    Do you enjoy your double oven? We've thought about getting one when we redo our kitchen, but our appliance expert says that he gets a lot of returns and that people aren't that happy with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit skeptical about the need for a double oven, but deferred to Ron's wishes because he had talked of one for years! (I do most of the cooking, but he is enamored with all things kitchen-related and wants to have excellent tools. ~smile~)

      One of my hesitations was the fact that I'd have to give up the storage drawer in the bottom. I had to purge some things and find new homes for others. I really haven't missed it.

      Now to answer your question...I love the double oven! Of course, most days there is not the need for a second oven, but there certainly are times when it comes in handy. It is great for baking cookies (saves a lot of time when you can have cookie pans rotating). When you're feeding a crowd, it's nice to be able to cook double batches, or two different parts of the meal. I suspect the two ovens will be put to good use on Thanksgiving Day!

      Another "plus" that I hadn't considered before purchase: On my range, the top oven is smaller, thus it saves energy (less space to heat) and time (preheats rapidly). The top oven holds any of my baking pans and casserole dishes. If I cook a turkey or a ham, of course, or if I am baking more than one thing at a time, then I'd use the bottom oven. But I use the top much more frequently, so I appreciate the savings in energy and time.

      (I hope that wasn't more than you wanted to know!) :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...