As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, June 24, 2017

Pineapple House | The Library



A few months ago, I told you about our plans to turn our fourth bedroom into a library. 

I am over the moon about what we accomplished in this room! 

  • I am thrilled that all of my books are now unpacked. 
  • I am happy that I no longer need to keep the door of this room closed. 
  • I am delighted that we have a cozy little library/office/school room/sitting room. 

And . . . we did it on the cheap! 

Really, we spent comparatively little money making over this room. We used our DIY skills, we shopped the house, and we found a few bargains to create a library did not break the budget. 

So today I'll take you on a little tour and show you how we accomplished the plans that we had made for this room. (I walked you through our four goals ~here~ and now I'll show you the results.)


1) Floor-to-ceiling bookshelves on one wall.


We did it! Or rather . . . Ron did it! 

We decided on staggered levels for the shelves, adding visual interest and also providing a few taller spaces for oversized books and/or collectibles. Floor-to-ceiling maximized the space. There's room for everything and even a bit of room to expand our collection. There are shelves for geography, world history, American history, science, biographies, children's fiction, adult fiction, picture books, and homeschool resources. I was even able to devote a shelf to my 26 years worth of homeschool record books. One of the larger shelves has oversized books and two baskets, one for board books and one for baby toys. (I love it that the toddlers go directly to these baskets and come out with books to read.) Ron added a few outlets, but, of course, I ended up putting the pencil sharpener on a shelf that didn't have an outlet, so we're going to have to drill a hole in order to reroute the offending cord.



This photo has a wonky angle because I took it from outside the window!

On this shelf, I have some favorites: our globe, my beloved Genevieve Foster collection, reference books, an olive wood camel my mom brought from Israel many years ago, and my Great-Aunt Minerva's school bell. 

I love having a home for my globe. As a homeschooling family, we have always needed our globe to be accessible, but its home in The Farmhouse was a corner. This is better.  



2) A desk/office area.


We definitely shopped the house for this space! 




This wall cabinet was the one that Ron built for The Farmhouse bathroom. We hung it in the dining room here at Pineapple House, but it felt off. (Having nothing under the cabinet made it feel like it was floating.) Now, however, it has a home. This is right. It hangs over the desk and holds envelopes, cards, and other stationery.

The desk was also at The Farmhouse, serving as a side table in the living room. (You can see it ~here~.) The crock lamp was in The Farmhouse kitchen. (It's ~here~.) An old crock holds pencils and pens. In fact, the only new item in this area is the little wooden mail tray I bought at HomeGoods. (Actually, it's not a tray designed specifically for mail, but I liked it better than the mail sorter things that I found.)


Ron is using the desk for household finances. I write out cards and notes here. Occasionally Bekah does her school work at the desk. And the mail . . . well, it gets to the tray some of the time. We're still working on that. 

3) A reading area.


This love seat was used hard in The Farmhouse kitchen, because that room was the hub of our home. It was the kitchen, the sitting room, the school room, the gathering room, the party room. The love seat has had a lot of use.  

We're not ready to have it reupholstered yet, but it needed an update. I found a very inexpensive throw on eBay, so I am using it to cover the back of the love seat. It certainly buys us some time. 

The love seat is the most comfortable piece of furniture ever! I find myself here a lot . . . having my devotions and morning coffee, blogging, and, yes, even reading! 
Pinky photobombed all of my love seat pictures. :) 


We picked up this Warren Kimble print for $25 at an antique shop! Score!


My daughter-in-law Sarah took this photo of me reading to the boys while the girls were having their piano lessons with Bekah. (I was in my glory.)



4) An overflow conversation area.


As I told you in this post, I was hoping to find a wing chair to expand the function of this space to include a small gathering/sitting room. I searched Craigslist for months, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for (the perfect combination of style, price, and location). 

I began to wonder if a wing chair would even work in the room at all. Maybe a chair would crowd the small space. Right after we finished painting, Kati suggested that we bring in the red-checked chair from the living room, just to see if it would work. Well, not only did we decide that a wing chair would work, we decided that we wanted this wing chair! Right size, right color, just enough pattern . . . no need for Craigslist! 

Shopping the house can be a good thing. 



Of course, to make a sitting area, you need to have a rug. And how are those little grands going to sit and play a game or do a puzzle if they don't have a cushy place to land? 


Wanting to keep the cost down, I began my search locally. What do you know? I found my rug in Walmart. It is Venetian Scrollwork in their Better Homes and Gardens line.  And it was $78, folks! Score again! It is not the quality of my living room and dining room rugs, but this is a low traffic area and I am happy with how it looks, so it is good.  





Now to give you a few more details . . . 

Paint colors

For the walls, we used the same antique white that we have used in all of the other rooms at Pineapple House. I am sorry that I can't give you the exact color, but it was an old Valspar color that Lowe's no longer carries, and we have had it color matched from an old can. It is my favorite shade of white -- not too white, but not yellowy or tan. 

The trim is a color from Olde Century Colors called Quaker Green. (We had it color matched in a Behr paint, eggshell finish, because we have always been pleased with Behr's results.)

Quaker Green is very close to the color we used in The Farmhouse dining room. Such a great colonial color! Although I prefer lighter, brighter colors in my main living spaces, a darker color like this works well in a room that is less frequently used. It also ups the "cozy" factor. :)


Window Treatments

I had planned to use a check to make a fishtail swag. But after deciding to keep the checked wing chair in the room, and considering the coverlet pattern on the love seat and the design in the rug, a check seemed like too much. Kati and I went to Hobby Lobby and we found a simple fabric that looks like linen (it isn't) that seemed just right. 




Ron also made shutters for the bottom sash. This allows us to let natural light in during the day, but we can also have privacy after the sun sets. (When I took most of the pictures for this post, the shutters were not finished, so I went back a took a few more after they were in place.)



Lighting

We wanted updated lighting for the library. I found this small bronze chandelier at Sturbridge Yankee Workshop. Not only was it the right size for the space, it was also the right price! It was on sale and I had a discount code. We paid just a smidge over a hundred dollars for this new light.





So there you have it: our library/office/sitting room! 

Yes, I am over the moon, because it turned out even better than I had imagined! It may not be on the cutting edge of home decor. But it is functional and cozy and it fits our style, and that makes it perfect for us!

46 comments:

  1. It is delightful! All that wonderful space for books! What a great job you did shopping the house! Are there places needing to be filled in other rooms now that you've done that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kissed cutting edge goodbye a l-o-n-g time ago!
    Cheryl, this is comfort and class combined beautifully!
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca!
      Who needs "cutting edge" anyway? :)

      Delete
  3. This room is so YOU! I love it! When I visit we must sit in this room at least part of the time!

    Congratulations on this dream coming true! Tell Ron we think he did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend! We will definitely do some hanging out in the library!

      Delete
    2. And, yes, I'll be sure to tell Ron!

      Delete
  4. This reading-room has a meditative restful appearance - quite inviting. The check wing chair stands out softly against the green bookshelves. I like how your husband staggered the shelves for interest. I have a school bell, too. I used to ring it when supper was ready. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Karen! Hmmmm . . . I have never used the bell to call for supper, but I may give that a try.

      Delete
  5. Love everything about this room! Great job setting it up and decorating - looks so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GrammaGrits! I have done quite a bit of relaxing in the new room. :)

      Delete
  6. Cheryl, your library is a peaceful lovely retreat. Your Ron is a master craftsman. If this room were in my home, it would be where you could find me! I love your new lighting fixture. Just perfect with your furnishings. And the new rug anchors the room for cozy reads with the grands. Such a great photo of you and the cuties. Well done! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha Ellen! I am found in the library often these days myself. Is it because it is a new room, or is it because I feel so at home here? I think it's a combination of both! I'll pass along your words to Ron.

      Delete
  7. Nicely done! I love the look and the feel of this wonderful room.

    Happy Summer ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! Happy summer to you too!

      Delete
  8. This is just perfect, Cheryl, and of course I think that every home should have an area like this! I have heard that there are, can you believe it, homes with no books at all! Maybe it's called a house. Anyway, love your wonderful transformation! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy! It is hard to imagine a home without books!

      Delete
  9. You got my attention with the word library, as I am a retired librarian. Your paint colors are very restful, I like the green, and all the pieces you found while shopping your house. Now the globe has a convenient resting place. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terra, fellow book lover, for taking a tour of our library and leaving your kind comments!

      Delete
  10. I love every part of it. That is a great idea to have outlets on some of the shelves. I'm keeping that idea in my head to pass on to Dear. Love that old school bell from your great aunt! That love seat looks real comfy. You did well shopping and repurposing to keep the costs down. I would never guess that rug came from Wal-Mart! Hope your weekend is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen! I was happily surprised to find my rug at Walmart and Ron was happy with the price tag! :)

      Delete
  11. Well done! There's something so wonderful about a room coming together just perfectly for your needs. It does look so cozy and comfortable, with just the right style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Dishywoo! We are all so thrilled with our new room. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Great room.This is magazine perfect

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree...who needs cutting edge? Not me. I love your room, Cheryl, and I think it's definitely magazine-worthy. And I'm envious of your book shelves. Ron did such a nice job. I have an old school bell that came from the one-room school I attended. Yours is perfect displayed in this room. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl! Seems like quite a few of us are not interested in being cutting edge. (Wonder if that has anything to do with our age? Hmmmm...)

      Delete
  14. I meant to add Thanks for the link for hiding tv cords!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love posts like this, and I LOVE what you did with this room! It's wonderful and cozy and warm. OH, and your soo right. We "shop" our house ALL THE TIME, lol. We spent an hour or so yesterday re-arranging our living room, and I am sitting here this morning loving how it came out. Not a new thing in it (well except the carpeting) but it has a fresh new feel. I LOVE LOVE the shutter Ron did for the window. And the bookcase he made is soo good too. I'd love it if someone over here had that talent. ENJOY that new room...I know you will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, changing things up a bit makes everything feel fresh!

      Ron is definitely a keeper! (Truly, he'd be a keeper even if he didn't build. But I love that he does!) :)

      Delete
  16. I just love it! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely, lovely space! Coincidentally, we are working on a very similar space in our basement... in progress, with baseboards and trim being painted today. With a full wall of bookshelves, and an older wing chair with a red and white plaid fabric. A reading library of sorts. What a coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wow! It sounds like our spaces are quite similar! I hope that you'll share some photos. Off to check out your blog . . .

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  18. You know I thought I commented on this but I guess i didn't. It looks perfect. I love it all--you guys did a great job and I know it was done with great thought and care all the way. The red checked chair looks perfect there. I love the globe of course, all the books, and even the outlet. You may want to put a small candle type lamp on a shelf some day. My sister has one and it looks cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries about commenting . . . but thanks for your encouraging words! A lamp is exactly what Ron was kept saying when he put in the outlets. And then I took up that shelf with the globe, etc. and then put the pencil sharpener on one of the shelves without an outlet! But I may eventually put a light. I'll bet it does look cozy!

      Delete
  19. Just now taking time to see your pictures again, such a lovely room that you all have helped to create. What a great idea of staggering the bookshelves, your husband did a great job! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa . . . and I'll pass your comment along to Ron!

      (Do you no longer blog? I only see your instagram profile and that is a forum I have not yet entered.)

      Delete
  20. What a great space...I love it...so comfy and cozy looking. And you may already know my thoughts on cutting edge décor...remember, I'm the girl who like wallpaper. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so sad that I didn't poke my head in an see this room while we were there. What a cozy space. I love it. And it has given me some good ideas for our library/school room.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...