As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, August 17, 2017

Squeezing Summer


We've been doing our best to squeeze an entire summer into the month of August!

We're over halfway through the month now, and we have done quite a bit of squeezing! It has done my heart such good to get out of doors, enjoying God's marvelous creation, and to gather here and there with my dear ones.


We (various assortments of us) have gone to the beach and to a water park. We have celebrated three birthdays (so far). We went to a 50th anniversary party. We had a sweet friend over for a coffee chat. We had our grandchildren for a visit while their parents celebrated their anniversary. We had the littlest grandgirl one morning while the rest of her family took in a dollar movie. We were invited to dinner by dear friends. 

The day we were at the water park, I nearly had an ugly cry. Out of the blue. 

I was wading into the pool. Up ahead of me were nine of my grandchildren, my daughter-in-law Sarah, and Kati and Bekah. I looked at all those precious people, each one healthy again, enjoying a day of fun after a couple of hard months . . . and I suddenly felt like the richest woman in the world. I breathed thanks to the Lord and I really could have just stood there and cried with gratitude, but I did not want to attract that kind of attention, so I got myself together and hung out with my people and soaked up the joy of the day. 


There is more squeezing -- more adventures and celebrations -- on the horizon for these last days of summer, plans that I must continue to hold loosely, for "if the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that."

But I know that I will continue to see His footprints. And so, still I sing . . . 

               Tho' sometimes He leads through waters deep,
               Trials fall across the way, 
               Tho' sometimes the path seems rough and steep,
               See His footprints all the way.

               Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, 
               Sweetest name I know, 
               Fills my every longing,
               Keeps me singing as I go.


22 comments:

  1. words that speak deep to the heart of your reader(s).. ♥
    thankful for sweet times in your life .. and for the
    trying times for they tend to bring us closer to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's what it's all about . . . being closer to Jesus.
      (((Hugs))) to your heart . . .

      Delete
  2. Oh dear Cheryl, I understand the ugly cry. I felt the same when I gathered with my loved ones at the beach last week. Life is fragile and the older I get the more that comes into focus.
    Darling photos of your grands. You know I adore the one with the darling baby grand by the ocean. I'm happy to hear they are all well. With the help of our Lord and Savior we keep singing. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am sure that you felt that, Martha Ellen! I love the way you say it: "Life is fragile and the older I get the more that comes into focus." It is a good thing too . . . to be more fully aware and appreciative of our gifts.

      Delete
  3. Well now, they all really are looking hale and hearty. It is understandable that your heart filled with gratitude and relief and that your eyes spilled over. Happens to me from time to time. Keep packing August full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are and we are so grateful! The August calendar does not have many white spaces. :)

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear you can squeeze some summer in now and some things are behind you. Sweetest name I know, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise God for your sweet times!!! Praying still.~tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Cheryl - I am so grateful with you that everyone is well and that the summer of 2017 is being squeezed! Such a sweet and heartfelt post. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rosella! I am happy that you, too, are on the road to recovery and squeezing in some good things in your neck of the woods!

      Delete
  7. So grateful in those moments! I understand. I'm very glad that everyone is healthy and enjoying summer during this month! God's ways and purposes are often different than our own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for rejoicing with us, Deanna! Yes, His ways are so much higher than ours; our view is so very limited.

      Delete
  8. What lovely times with family to be thankful for.

    Yes, He does keep us singing as we go, even when our tears are falling.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lorraine! I hope that you are singing too!

      Delete
  9. Thankful you are getting some redemption this month and enjoying summer with family and friends. It sounds a bit like feasting after a lean time of challenges. Through it all, God is very good and I'm sure you've seen that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good description, Dotsie. It does seem like a feast! And, yes, He is good always!

      Delete
  10. And you certainly have something to sing about, Cheryl, as a matter of fact, I can hear your song of thanksgiving and praise through your writing! may the Lord continue to bless and keep you and your dear family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a precious post. You certainly have so much to be thankful for in your lovely family...so glad everyone is healthy and happy! Wonderful memories being made here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...