As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, April 19, 2018

Turning Seventeen With The Sound of Music




Somehow, my "baby" has turned seventeen already!

The years have flown by, 
from the time we brought our little preemie home from the hospital

through all the years in between
18 months

8 years old

11 years old

age 15



. . . and now, she is a young lady on the cusp of adulthood.


My mama-heart flutters a little when I realize that this time next year, all of my children will be adults and this chapter of my life will end. But mostly, I am so grateful that I have had the wonderful privilege and responsibility of raising this precious girl, walking alongside her, encouraging and being encouraged by her as we have grown in grace together!





On Sunday, we gathered to celebrate Bekah with a Sound of Music birthday party!
(We played the soundtrack during the party. Click ~here~ for a song!)



🎜 Raindrops on roses 🎝



🎜 Whiskers on kittens 🎝

🎜 Brown paper packages tied up with string 🎝

🎜 These are a few of my favorite things 🎝

🎜 Edelweiss 🎝



"A Few of My Favorite Things" game:
We named some of Bekah's favorite things (dark chocolate, Sherlock Holmes, high heels, etc.)
and each player stood near the appropriate sign.





Sadly, Ryan had to work, but Paul was willing to participate in Wrapping Paper Antics.


Bekah with Mommom

with Gammy

with Gampy

her "camera"


The kids performed a skit for Bekah! :)

with Aunt Linda

with her sisters

with her nieces and nephews



As I do every year, I reflect on the hard and beautiful story of Bekah's coming into this world and I am filled with gratitude. She was meant to be! Our God has a plan for her life!




For this child I prayed, and the LORD has granted me my petition which I asked of Him. 
Therefore I also have lent [her] to the LORD;
as long as [s]he lives [s]he shall be lent to the LORD.” 
I Samuel 1:27,28


35 comments:

  1. Bekah has turned into a lovely young woman. I've been following you for awhile and she's not a young girl anymore. Hard to believe she's 17 now.

    What a wonderful birthday party you had for her! Another great time with family.

    Thanks for sharing ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time flies . . . even in the blogging world! Thanks for sharing our journey with us!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was a fun party, but I can't take credit for all of those party details. Bekah (aided by Pinterest!) planned and created. Kati and I were her assistants. :)

      Isn't it amazing how much our girls have grown up since we first met?!

      Delete
  3. How creative a party! How special the girl! Happiest of Belated Birthdays to her🎈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I told Deanna, the birthday girl was the creative force behind this party! Thank you for your sweet birthday greetings!

      Delete
  4. happy happy birthday to your lovely daughter ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you should definitely win the award for the most imaginative birthday party theme...you put together a very unique party for Bekah and everything from the décor to the games is so very creative. I read the links about your ordeal before and after she was born...WOW...God is just SO GOOD! What a gorgeous young lady Bekah has become and I know you are so proud to be her mama...Happy Birthday to your "baby"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am delighted to be Bekah's mom! God is SO good!

      As for the party, Bekah was the creative force behind this one, aided by Pinterest, of course. I think she did a great job!

      Delete
  6. You must all have loved the party, full of fun ideas, love and family. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And she grew up beautiful. She was just a little girl when I first found your blog. Time goes by so fast. And I see those "grands" are growing up also. Blessings and happy birthday to Bekah. Sharon D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon D! It is amazing (and humbling) to me to think of the friends that I have made here over the years who read my thoughts and share my journey and care about my family!

      Delete
  8. As I see from the comments above, Bekah planned this lovely party! Like mother, like daughter she did a lovely job! Well done and happy birthday to your lovely daughter! I really enjoyed seeing her pictures through the years. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your (always) kind words, Martha Ellen!

      Wasn't she a doll baby? (I may be a little biased.) :)

      Delete
    2. Okay, maybe more than "a little." :)

      Delete
    3. She will always be your precious doll baby, Cheryl! My Mama's heart hears your's, my friend. ♥

      Delete
  9. I saw your blog on the sidebar of Coffee, Tea, Books, and Me, and since I love The Sound of Music, this post caught my eye. What a beautiful daughter! And how absolutely precious she was as a baby. A very happy birthday to her.

    That was a lovely celebration y'all had. Very creative!

    Blessings,
    Patti @ Ninety-Twelve Psalms Avenue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by today, Patti! I believe we have met before in Blogland, although it was quite a while back! I remember your love for old movies.

      Thank you, too, for your sweet comments, and I'll pass the birthday greetings along to Bekah.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday, Bekah! I hope your life unfolds beautifully this year - full of your favorite things, the favor of the Father, your family and friends. ♥ What a beautifully, creative party you planned, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet birthday greetings, Rebecca! I will make sure that Bekah sees them. As for the party, most of the credit goes to the birthday girl who loves to party plan. She always helps me, but on her birthday, she is the one in charge! :)

      Delete
  11. Cheryl, what a lovely family and sweet theme for a party! Love your "whiskers on kittens."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean! (I liked the kittens too!)

      Delete
  12. I love the theme and everything about this post!!! Happy birthday to your sweet daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosella! I will make sure that Bekah reads your greeting!

      Waiting to hear baby news from your corner. :)

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday Becka!!! What a precious baby picture!! I had preemies too <3 !!! When you finally get them home...such an amazing gratitude for so so much!! Love your party and theme and as always the gatherings with your beautiful blessings!!! Inspires my heart to be sure!! ~tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww . . . you had preemies! (More than one!) Indeed, you are SO grateful when they are "out of the woods"!

      Thanks for all of you kind words, Tammy!

      Delete
  14. A beautiful post for a beautiful girl! I feel like I've watched her grow up on your blog! And what a sweet idea for her birthday! Loved reading about and seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blog friends are real friends! I feel honored that you have been here long enough for Bekah to grow up!

      It was a fun party, mostly planned by the birthday girl herself. :)

      Delete
  15. I am way behind, but wishing your beautiful girl a very happy birthday. I LOVED the theme. Soo creative. Time goes soo fast. ENJOY every minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birthday greetings are never too late! Thank you!

      Indeed, time does go by so very fast . . .

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...