As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, October 12, 2018

Five on Friday


It has been a busy week here, and the weekend promises to be full too. I may just have time for quick chat via a Five on Friday post! Some of my blog friends have been doing these and they're always fun to read. Here goes . . .

{one}
The first part of the week was spent on Bekah's "senior trip."

We spent several days in Baltimore and Washington, D. C. and visited as many museums as we could fit in. We walked our legs off got lots of exercise, and we learned so much and enjoyed our time together.

(I'll tell you more about our senior trip tradition in a separate post.)



{two}
The weather today is deliciously autumnal! After Steamy September and many days of Hot-tober, it is a relief! I am loving it.




{three}
Eek! I just dropped my baby Kati (who is totally not a baby . . . but she is to me . . . ) off at the airport. She is off on a weekend adventure. (His name is Andrew.)



{four} 
With his remaining vacation days, Ron is doing a few projects. He is painting and weatherstripping all three exterior doors. He is also putting a couple of coats of polyurethane on the ladderback chairs that are on our sun porch. A few weeks ago, some of our grands took lunch out to the sun porch and when they went pulled out the chairs to sit down at the table, there was black mildew on them! I told you it was "Steamy September"! This was our third summer in this house and never have we had any problem with mildew before this one. Last week we washed and rinsed the chairs and now they're ready to be sealed.



{five}
We are making preparations for Sunday's October birthday celebration!

Ben had his own birthday party last Sunday in honor of his milestone birthday. This year he is double digits! It was his turn to receive a "treasure box" made by Papa and get ten gifts from Papa and Gran. It is such fun for us to do something a little special for each grandchild's tenth birthday. There will be another tenth birthday in January! (Papa had better get to work on the next box!)

So on Sunday, we will celebrate our October boys: Ben and Gampy, my dad, who is a tad older than ten! Good times!




May your weekend be grace-filled!

12 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh...his name is Andrew... ☺️ Kati is prolly not going to be happy with your reporting now that we readers are hovering around the sidelines... Ha! Hope that she has a wonderful adventure.

    The way you honor your grands in a special way on their tenth birthdays is inspired. What a keepsake they receive... the beautiful box and the memories. Are you going to keep this up for 20th birthdays? 30th? 🙂

    All the best with your projects...so glad that the weather is cooperating and making it nicer to do them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise not to share more than Kati approves! 🙂

      No, we will probably not carry the gift-per-year tradition past the tenth birthday. With two daughters yet unmarried, the number of grandchildren could continue to climb for many years should God allow. I'm afraid we'd lose track! It is a thrill for us to make the tenth one special though!

      Delete
  2. What a special way to honour a tenth birthday! A great tradition. So...Andrew...we'll wait to hear more as Kati allows!
    Home projects are good to get done before the cold weather arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the perfect day to paint doors. Second coat tomorrow which also promises to be a fine weather day. Oh, it is so refreshing!

      We enjoy the tradition as much as the grands, I think.

      I hope to be able to tell more about Andrew as time goes on . . .

      Delete
  3. Cheryl, can I borrow Ron for just a week or two? He has so many DIY skills, though, he could probably whip out all my projects in just a few days! Oh and can he make one of those treasure boxes for me? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, Ron is a pretty handy guy to have around. The best thing is that he loves projects! He's probably be happy to help you out!

      Delete
  4. I was excited to see that she was going to go visit Andrew. See him in his normal 'habitat' so to speak! (grin)

    Ben being 10 is hard to believe. They just keep growing. I love your tradition for their tenth birthday!

    I am grateful for cool autumn weather, at last, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is having a great weekend! So many new adventures!

      Oh my goodness . . . they DO all keep growing. My theory is that grandchildren grow even faster than our children did. I'm not sure that holds up scientifically, but it sure seems so!

      Autumn kindreds!

      Delete
  5. Busy and fun stuff! And I love the door color and your 10th birthday tradition. Dotsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dotsie! Lots of fun stuff for sure! Just gotta keep going . . .

      Delete
  6. You know that I LOVE your house! Since my daughter has five children, they chose to have birthday parties for ages five, ten, thirteen, and sixteen. I can't believe her oldest hit the sixteen mark in February! That still gives her plenty of parties to plan and pay for through the years. Otherwise, they have a cake and a few gifts with the paternal grandparents over (they live about 45 minutes away, near Worcester).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda! I think your daughter's birthday plan sounds sensible and wonderful. A few special parties are sure to live in the memories! Our oldest grandchild turns 16 in December and I am wondering how that happened so quickly!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...