As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, June 23, 2021

So Far This Summer . . .




A lovely teatime, hosted by a friend who spent many years as a missionary in Zimbabwe.


A summer cold.


Three grands came for a few days.

Judah was chilly after his milkshake, but Alaine wrapped him up snug as a bug in a rug.

Macie and Judah wave good-bye to Caleb after a Skype call.
Not sure if you can see in the photo, but Caleb is waving too!



Me too!




The living room sofa was reupholstered!
(What? You think it looks the same? Ahem. Same fabric. 😂)


Oyster fritter supper with friends. (Have you even eaten an oyster fritter?)
I didn't get my camera out until dessert.

New storm door.

A little summer decorating.



A young friend's voice recital.


Alaine came for a sewing lesson and stayed for dinner.
~ lavender sachets ~





Annual Grand Summer Sleepover!
Make-your-own naan pizzas & raw veggies and dip

Pajama races!

All the furniture is rearranged for movie time!

Nine grands came this year!

Bridal shower




Father's Day

I love this photo of our son-in-law Brian with his niece Joanna!


My mom had recently purchased two products that she remembers her father using when she was a girl. She had wanted to capture his scent, but she said that they were not the same as she remembered. I encouraged her to bring them to our Father's Day celebration for "show and tell." 

Inspired by her show-and-tell, I had everyone share a scent or a particular item or memory that they associated with their own fathers. Baseball. The smell of the wood shop. Stories from childhood. His shirt. Bedtime songs. Dad making breakfast before dawn and making lots of noise. Name label he wore at his job. Coffee mug with a German shepherd on it.


We had two "gift fairies" this time . . . Macie (5), 

. . . and her brother Judah (2) who wanted to join the fun.
He did a great job!

Kati and Andrew sent Ron a nifty barbeque tool . . . 

. . . which also came in handy for opening a box when he couldn't find his pocket knife.

My dad had his pocket knife!

Joanna ~ 2 and 1/2 months old 
(Photo creds: Bekah)






And now . . . 

I am going to be taking a blogging break. 
I'll be back at Thinking About Home sometime in July.

Happy summer, friends! Make lots of memories! 




11 comments:

  1. My goodness, Cheryl, you are one busy grandmother! Such wonderful times for all of your grands. Your home always looks so lovely even with a house full of folks! I'd love to know your secret, friend. I love that you chose the same beautiful fabric for your sofa as it is perfect in your beautiful home. Enjoy your blogging break. The photo taken under the pier is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing. How do you keep your house so clean with a house full of visiting kiddos? It always looks amazingly clean. And beautiful of course. Enjoy your blogging break with your wonderful family. Make lots of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your break Cheryl. Thank you for a lovely meander through your month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful break! I suspect that you will return with wonderful news. I very much enjoyed seeing all the photos of your beautiful grands. What a great time they have with you and each other!

    You inspired me to think what aromas I would associate with my dad—Old Spice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a lovely break. I’m so shocked at how old Judah and Macey are already. They’re supposed to be babies! I remember Alaine a being Macey’s age!

    I love seeing all the cousins having fun together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've already had a summer full of memories. Love all the photos of the new touches and visits to your home. Love that cousin sleepover! Have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have started summer with a lot of wonderful activities! The Grand Summer Sleepover is just the best - what awesome forever memories being made. Your home is always so beautiful and inviting - did you do the upholstering? It looks amazing. Have a wonderful summer break and we'll see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading others' comments I had to chuckle as I was also thinking along the lines of how nice your house looks even with all the people there, and kids running around the house. I love the idea of the Grand Summer Sleepover. You are such a clever and creative lady, mom and grandmother. Enjoy you blogging break! I look forward to seeing what you post when you come back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love all your pictures, quotes, yummy food, thoughts, and love.. so thankful seeing this, especially in our crazy mixed up world - there IS normalcy. ;) blessings dear friend... sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know you will have enjoyed your break. Thank you for sharing with us. It's nice to "peak into" other's homes and lives. We're all trying to do our best to live the life that God has provided for us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...