As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, July 31, 2021

Vacation Days and a Maryland Recipe

 

The doctor's office where Bekah works was closed this week, and so we girls went into vacation mode! 

We antiqued.

We went to the beach. Twice. At the river, and at the ocean. 

We took drives and got coffee. (If you know me at all, you probably guessed that.) 

We ate lunch out. 

We did a little shopping.

We got snow cones. 

We also celebrated two birthdays and made homemade ice cream. 

It was a busy, memory-making week! 

















On one of our busy days, between beach time and piano lesson time (Bekah teaches her nieces and nephew), I made this cream of crab soup. 

It was only about 40 minutes from start to table and it checked all of my boxes for a delicious Maryland 🦀 summertime 🌞 seafood kind of meal! I served it with a simple salad of mixed greens, blueberries, feta cheese, and bottled "House" dressing from Aldi. It was all so simple and delicious! 



MARYLAND CREAM of CRAB SOUP
serves 6


INGREDIENTS:

1/2 stick butter
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup flour
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes)
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups milk
1 pound lump crabmeat


DIRECTIONS:

Melt butter in pan over medium heat.
Add onion; sauté until soft.

Add flour, Old Bay, and parsley. Whisk until well blended.

Whisking constantly, add cream and milk. Bring just to a boil.

Stir in crabmeat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Sprinkle with additional Old Bay; garnish with parsley.







Our girls' vacation was a blessing to us. Time to step away from routine. Time to soak up some summer activities. Time to spend together.

These days are a gift. Bekah is my last child at home, and you never know when life will change.
I am grateful for now . . . for our relationship and for days spent together. 

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful week of out of the ordinary fun. Seize the day. The soup looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly busier than our average week, but, as you say, you have to take the time when you can get it! We had lots of fun!

      Delete
  2. A lovely spontaneous week together!
    My husband would love your crab soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a lovely week, Barbara! Hope it has been a good week for you and your husband.

      Delete
  3. It sounds wonderful! Glad you enjoyed your time together. I wish I had been with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did enjoy our time together! And we'd have a great time if you had come along too!

      Delete
  4. A delightful week for you gals. Glad that you were able to embrace the opportunity. Just think, there is always something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that we did! You know the little poem about rocking babies "'cause babies don't keep"? I think that's true of people in general. Better to spend time with your people than to fret over things like dusting and vacuuming. Those things will keep.

      Delete
  5. Cheryl just lovely seeing your photos of your family. It looks like you had the best memory making week. It doesn't get any better than a visit to the beach...makes one truly feel like they are on vacation. Have a great week and thanks for sharing your fun time with me. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie! I think you're right about the beach! There is something thoroughly relaxing about the beach. I love the scent and the sounds and the awesome beauty of the ocean. And I never see the ocean without considering the vastness of our Creator!

      Hugs back to you!

      Delete
  6. Seize the day, indeed! You are a great memory maker with your family. Loved all the photos! Very cool sandcastle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becki! I love making memories with my people! Wasn't that sandcastle impressive?! They worked for some time on their creation!

      Delete
  7. What a fun-sounding week to spend with your family! The crab soup sounds delicious. I'm a seafood fan, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a perfect week! I believe in celebrating the moments, when we can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are kindreds on this . . . take all opportunities to share time with your people!

      Delete
  9. Oh what a fun vaycay week!! Love the coverlet treasure you found too. Homemade ice-cream and birthday celebrations - it just doesn't get any better! That crab soup looks delicious. Love how you celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosella, we had such a great week together. So often it's the simple things that make it special. I have to say, crab soup checks all my boxes! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...