As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Celebrating TEN Summer Birthdays with a Citrusy Flair



I'm sure I have told you about our family's SUMMER BIRTHDAY TRAIN. It slowly pulls away from the station in June with Andrew's birthday (and this year we have added Ellie's). In the middle of July, the train picks up speed with Eve's and Maddie's birthdays. And by the time August arrives . . . it feel like a runaway train that is whizzing down the track and sometimes I have a hard time hanging on! Yes, folks, we have seven birthdays (and three anniversaries) in our family in August. Then, lest you think the train is pulling into the station as August ends, on the very next day there's another birthday!

Recently, we celebrated all TEN of the July, August, and September birthdays with ONE citrusy fun party. 


I had picked up these fruit slice napkins at HomeGoods and the end of last summer and had squirreled them away for this year's party. Mom had found the candy fruits after Passover and offered to bring them on Father's Day, but when I (re)discovered the napkins in my summer box, we decided to save them for the summer birthday bash. 

Some citrusy pepper jelly over cream cheese served with crackers was a quick appetizer. I pulled the colorful straws out of my party drawer. (I buy such things when I see them, and then wait for the right opportunity/party!) Owen made Key lime bars, I made lemon bars, and Mom brought some festive cupcakes.









Here we are . . . the ten birthday people!


We had a slide show of baby pictures of each of the birthday people and everyone tried to guess who was who. It was pretty easy for those of us who were (ahem) older, but it was more of a challenge for the younger folks.






JULY birthday girls: Maddie and Eve

AUGUST birthday peeps being a little silly 😉:
Ron, me, Mom, Owen, Kristin, Judah, and Ryan

The SEPTEMBER girl: Alaine


And now the summer birthday train is nearing the station! 🚉 We have had a busy summer and it has flown by! How has your summer been? 



18 comments:

  1. Celebrations don't just happen...you plan so carefully and well. I think the little girl on the lawn is your mom? The little boy in the lower right corner is Ron and are you to the left? That little person looks a lot like Kati and Bekah. After that, I have no clue. And I could be very wrong about all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vee! I think I have "party eyes" from years of practice. One little bit of inspiration blooms into a party!

      Hey, you have good eyes for seeing favor because you are spot on with your guesses!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Vee. Your careful planning for your lovely celebrations are noteworthy. Your family birthday parties are very special as are all of your gatherings. I love the citrus theme and how you tied it all together with the food that was served. All the happy faces tell me everyone enjoyed themselves.
    Summer is waning and I must admit I am looking forward to Fall so much this year as the heat and humidity has forced me to stay indoors more than I desire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen! As I said to Vee, I think "party eyes" develop over time and with practice. I think it's genetic too because my mom has them.

      Oh, I am totally with you in your eagerness for fall! In the past couple of weeks, I have crossed that threshold between “summer is not so bad-it has its own joys” to “I CAN’T TAKE ANOTHER STINKING HOT DAY!!”

      Delete
  3. what a wonderful gathering and celebration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do any others in your family have a month all to themselves besides Alaine? You pulled off another great themed multi birthday celebration! Love those napkins. That slide show was a fun addition. Looks like our family (kids and grands) won't be all together until we all meet up in North Carolina for their cousins wedding. It's been the longest stretch for us. At least we have the Colville kids and grands close enough to see often. Fall is getting closer and closer! I think you might be as excited as me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only Alaine and Bekah (hers is April) get a month to themselves. Bekah actually wants to share. But the closest are Caleb (born on May 1) and Joanna (March 28) . . . who both missed April by just a smidge.

      Thank you! Those napkins caught my eye as soon as I saw them. It was a fun party to pull together.

      Kind of ironic that you have to come to the opposite coast to have all your people together at once! I know that will be a happy reunion! And, absolutely YES, I am excited for fall! I am so ready!

      Delete
  5. I've learned so much from you over the years about making gatherings special. Little touches make things so fun. Those napkins are perfect!
    Happy Birthday to you all!
    I miss you friend. I wish we could do some antiquing together. Soon my parents will be settled here, and Sarah back at school. Perhaps then we can get together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and for the birthday greetings!

      A get together would be lovely . . . in between all of the busy!

      Delete
  6. What a great idea with the slides! It's kind of amazing to see similarities in features and in some expressions - over generations, even. And I do love those citrus slice napkins! And the bright cheery fruit sliced candies. Happy Birthday to you all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becki! It was my mom's idea to have everyone share a baby picture . . . and then we made it a bit more techy. It was lots of fun to hear everyone's comments! Thanks for the birthday greetings too!

      Delete
  7. Happy Happy Birthday to everyone, this party looks like so much fun You always know how to make your family feel so special, Cheryl!
    I read some previous post, your gathering moments at Kati and Andrew's home were absolutely spectacular, and will forever be enjoyed for a lifetime! The bond I see with your family is cemented in your love for God and each other!
    What a joy to visit with you again, thank you for your sweet comment on my post!
    The post of praying for one another is so encouraging especially in times like these.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, Sue! It is a joy to have you visit here, and to know that you are feeling so much better! We have had some lovely days of celebration and being with family. It is good to be grateful for those things, even when the world is crazy all around us!

      Delete
  8. I love your citrus party theme. You always come up with such great and inspiring ideas. Happy Happy Birthday to you and the rest of the birthday peeps! The birthday train sure delivers a lot of fun over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rosella! Planning parties is great fun, but my ideas always spring from something very simple (like those cute napkins) . . . just years of practice, I guess. The last summer birthday was yesterday and, as fun as it all was, I am breathing a sigh of relief today!

      Delete
  9. Cheryl, love that train analogy! AND the citrus theme. You sure know how to work a theme. I have a friend like that, and she does what you do, picking up items here and there over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean! It's kind of a way of life to always be gathering party supplies. It's a (mostly) cheap thrill! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...