As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, September 17, 2021

Little Things

I have found my blog languishing again . . . 

When I look back through my old blogposts in search of a date or a photo, I see enthusiasm and amazing frequency of posting. How in the world did I post so much when I was in the throes of homeschooling? How did I have so much to share and so much to say? When did I find time to do it? 

Well, I am very busy in my "retirement." My family is larger. I do my best to stay connected and involved in all of their lives. I am more involved in my church. I make time for friends (although I feel like I fail at that much of the time). We are juggling two vehicles among three drivers which complicates the schedule. 

Also, I am slow. Always have been. Even more so as I get older. 

And . . . maybe it's this as much as anything else . . . I sometimes feel like I need to have something Grand and Important to say to jump back in after a blog lag. Anyone else? 


But the reality is that the little things are God's graces and those are always Grand and Important! So I am going to make an effort to take a few minutes more frequently to post a little thing or two. 


* * * 


Here is a little thing that brings a smile: 


I love to  s l o w l y  decorate for autumn, collecting little bits here and there and scattering them inside and out throughout the season. (Sometimes, the whole collection finds a home on my Thanksgiving table.) I picked up these Baby Boo pumpkins at a farm stand the day after Labor Day. Then this week, I decided that I needed a mum on the Shaker table, so I rose before dawn to take Ron to work so that I could have the van, and was at Walmart before 7 am (who am I even?) and picked out this lovely little burgundy one. 


Yes, these little things make me smile. 



27 comments:

  1. Love seeing the photos. I get what you are trying to say, but I don't agree at all where you are concerned. We love our blogging friends and want to hear how things are going from time to time. Glad that you are in "gearing up for autumn" mode. (Maybe find the third driver a vehicle.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. find the third driver a vehicle mode... 🤦🏻‍♀️

      Delete
    2. You are a sweet friend, Vee, and it warms my heart to know that you want to hear from me . . . Grand and Important or not! {{{big hugs}}}

      That third driver has something in the works! (It was all good while Ron was working from home, but since he returned to the office in July . . . Crazy Town.)

      Delete
  2. So many little things to make us smile. With Fall on our doorstep I'm getting excited for each of those fall things. Happy weekend to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is an exciting time! Happy weekend to you and yours too, Ellen!

      Delete
  3. I am like you, slow. Always have been. And like you, even more so as I get older There I said it. Don't feel you have to write something grand or important after a blog lag. We know you're busy, and popping in to say hello and showing us your baby boos is sometimes enough. BTW Congratulations on the birth of your newest granddaughter. I love her name. Is it short for Eleanor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are so kind and encouraging, friend! Thank you!

      Yes, Ellie is short for Eleanor. She is named for her paternal great-grandmother.

      Delete
  4. So glad for the post today. Always love to hear from you even a short post to keep us in touch with you and your family. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sharon . . your words warm my heart! Blessings back to you!

      Delete
  5. Same - I just can't find the mojo to blog. We are having heavy days over here but the morning light comes each day which is a blessing. One day at a time. You have given me some inspiration to at least try to decorate the front porch? Fall decor is always so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Rosella. It hurts my heart to hear that you are having heavy days. The only way to do those is one day at a time . . . and only by His grace. I am renewing my prayers for you all!

      Delete
  6. Just lovely! Thanks for sharing these photos. Love the red mum and the white pumpkins together. I've just begun decorating for fall.

    And yes, I fall down on blogging also. I have plenty to blog about, but it seems that we are in a busy time of life right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mrs. T! Nice to know I'm in good company!

      Delete
  7. Those little pumpkins are so cute. It is a grace to recognize the value of the little things; they add so much to life. I find there's often an ebb and flow to my blogging. Sometimes I have so much to say, and other others very little. Sometimes I have words and sometimes I don't. Funny, today I emptied my word pockets on my new post; a lot had been stored up. haha

    Wishing you a pleasant rest of your day.
    Best blessings!
    Brenda xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words, Brenda! I do value the little things . . . just sometimes wonder if anyone else is interested in hearing about them. But it seems that there are some dear friends who are!

      Off to see what was in your pockets . . .

      Delete
  8. I think simple and "non-grand" posts are as good as the grand adventures, to be honest. Non-grand is where life is lived most of the time. You've invited us into your home, and that is always nice. And you remind me that God's graces are found amongst the every day things every bit as much as they are in the big events. I love your little white pumpkins. They remind me that decorating can be simple AND beautiful. Simple is what I need now more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right and I love how you say it. "Non-grand is where life is lived most of the time." Absolutely! And I am always happy to welcome you into my home. Thank you, Becki!

      Delete
  9. Some of the blogs I enjoy most feature the little graces of everyday life. Most of life is quite ordinary, yet different for all of us. Seeing the beauty of home life is lovely. Keep sharing. Love the little pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Lorrie! As I read your words, I know that you're right, because those are also the blogs that I enjoy reading and the connection between bloggers is a lovely thing!

      Delete
  10. Cheryl, I know what you mean about wanting something grand to report. You are so right the simple little things are what bring the greatest joys. Your Baby Boo pumpkins are darling and the burgundy mum looks like it is full of promise. Your home decor and especially your thoughts are always a welcome to me, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Ellen, you are always such an encourager and so kind! I will continue to share the little things with my friends!

      Delete
  11. This sounds like a post I have written in my mind many times over, especially over the past year or two, Cheryl!
    Many times I have thought about posting but would think, this will not be interesting enough for my readers, so would not, as I was busying myself in the kitchen this morning I thought about the small things you talked about and I also thought of how the little things in our lives are important to God and we may never know how just one word or phrase, or photo would inspire someone!
    So after reading this I am motivated to try a little harder with my small things. ~smile~
    I am so happy you are still blogging, you have inspired and encouraged me so many times, I treasure our friendship. It has been a joy for me to see your family grow, and of the devotion and love you have for each other.
    Blessings,
    Sue
    Thank you for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, your words are so kind . . . and I treasure your friendship as well! You're right. We never know what little things will inspire or bring a smile. It's always a pleasure to hear from our blogging friends!

      Delete
  12. After my recent 'lag'I didnt really know where to start again!
    Little things are what make up the bigger emotions of our lives, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, Barbara! The little things and little moments are defining.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...