As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, May 14, 2022

Being a Servant


My dear friend Barbara and I are intentional about getting together. Recently, I had invited her to have coffee in our new sunroom. (The sunroom is not quite finished, but I will show it to you when it is!) Barbara knew that it was a very busy week for me and she offered to bring scones so that I would not feel obligated to bake something. She told me that it would satisfy her craving to bake something, but I knew that she was really being thoughtful and gracious to me. Her strawberry scones were amazing! 


Barbara's simple act of grace reminds me of the lyrics to a song that my sister brought to my attention. Linda and I have talked about how it is often it is easier to give help than to receive it, and she shared these words with me. They have gone straight to my heart. 


Will you let me be your servant,
Let me be as Christ to you?
Pray that I may have the grace to 
Let you be my servant too. 

 

12 comments:

  1. I might have to try a scone recipe, since strawberries are starting to come in to season here. I usually just make strawberry shortcake.

    Instagram.com/melissasnotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberry shortcake is a sure win, but strawberry scones are delicious too!

      Delete
  2. It is easier to give than to receive and receiving is a lesson learned, too. There is a humbling message to recieve. I'm much more comfortable on the giving side. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is definitely humbling! I think that is what makes it such a challenge.

      Delete
  3. To allow someone to be a servant is a gift of grace and humility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favourite songs! "We are here to help each other, Walk the Mile and bear the load"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a new song to me, Rosella, but it certainly hit a chord!

      Delete
  5. That is a rare, rare sentiment for sure. It seems that to get together with any of our friends, we must make an intention. Glad that you and Barbara do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very challenging to be the receiver.

      I give the credit to Barbara. She is an intentional friend . . . and not just to me!

      Delete
  6. Cheryl I loved the lyrics to this song. I think it is certainly easier to serve than to receive. Those scenes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were quite delicious, Debbie!

      The song is new to me, but the message struck a chord! Indeed, it is easier to serve than to receive!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...