As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, August 3, 2009

A Short Visit

I am grateful for the time we had. Fifteen hours together. We packed in everything we could.

We hugged.
We talked (a lot!).
We celebrated a few birthdays.
We laughed.
We talked some more and laughed some more.
We learned about the new park where Ryan will be working soon.
We slept (a little!).
We had breakfast together.
We bid good-bye...again, as he left with a dear friend to travel to the wedding of another dear friend.
And then it was time for the tears.
And for Ron and I to travel back over the years to the time and place when Ryan was a little blonde-haired boy who loved teddy bears and dug foxholes and hid his broccoli and was a daily part of our world.

Does it ever get easier? To say good-bye to your "baby" as he makes his way halfway across the country where his home is now, knowing that in a few weeks he and Sarah and the little girls will be moving even further away?

Well, today is a new day, and I will choose to take comfort in the fact that "the steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord." I truly would not want Ryan and "his girls" to be anywhere that is not in the hollow of His hand.

"His mercies are new every morning. Great is Thy faithfulness. "

6 comments:

  1. If there was a "like" button at the end of this post, I'd click it. :)
    I'm glad you had the chance to do all those things with Ryan while he was "home". It must have been a special 15 hours indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sarah, it was a special time! It did go by way too fast, as I knew it would...but I feel like it was a gift from the Lord to be able to see Ryan before the move. Of course, we would love to have seen you and Eve and Nora too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, the good-byes don't seem to be easier...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brought tears to my eyes, will keep you in pray. Do appreciate you outlook, only God gives us that peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the spelling errors, wrote this sitting on the bed and didn't proofread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Barbara...you are so sweet! Enjoy your own dear little boy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...