As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, August 1, 2009

Nobler and Higher

I am a lover of hymns...the deep, rich words, the stirring melodies move my heart. Lately a phrase from an old hymn keeps singing in my thoughts,

"Things that are higher, things that are nobler, these have allured my sight."

Oh, that I may live on that higher, nobler plane. I'm afraid that, too often, I am taken with the temporal, the immediate, the here and now. Of course, living in this world requires attention to the mundane, but I don't want to live there.

I believe that it is possible to take the mundane and offer it to Him as a higher and nobler thing. The preparation of a meal, the reading of a story, the stacks of clean laundry, the offer of a listening ear, even grocery shopping (eek!)...I think that these things, when offered from a servant's heart, when presented as unto the Lord, are high and noble.

Today, Lord, help me to focus on the Heavenly, though I may dwell among the earthly.

"If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God." Colossians 3:1-3

2 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I am one who can vouch for your servant's heart when grocery shopping! I know your heart's affection is on the heavenly, and thank God for you.
    Love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as you know, grocery shopping is NOT my favorite thing to do...but bringing your few items to you IS! What a pleasure to be able to visit with you for a few minutes every week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...