As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Christmas Card For You



From our home to yours...


...our Christmas card to you, blog friends.


So often at Christmas time, our thoughts are centered on Christ as a baby.  And indeed, what an incredible miracle, that He came, as a baby, born of a virgin, into such humble surroundings, fulfilling all of the Old Testament prophecies of His birth. 

But, as believers, we are never far from the fact that this baby was THE MESSIAH, the long-awaited One, the One who was born to die, who came to redeemHe is EmmanuelGod with us!  Hallelujah!

***   ***   ***

I love Christmas music.  Many of the traditional carols have such rich, stirring lyrics...with the dawn of redeeming grace...God with man is now residing...Ye who sang creation's story now proclaim Messiah's birth...born that man no more may die.

There are also some meaningful contemporary Christmas songs.  (My daughters Kristin and Kati have shared some favorites on their blogs, ~here~ and ~here~.)

I want to share one of my favorite contemporary Christmas songs as a part of our Christmas card to you.  It is "You Are Emmanuel" recorded in 1995 by the group Truth.  I was hoping to find it on youtube, but the only video ~here~ is of very poor quality. 

Instead, I have linked to grooveshark online radio, which has the original recording, and I have provided the lyrics below so you can read along as you listen. 

Such beautiful music, such wonderful words...You Are Emmanuel.


YOU ARE EMMANUEL
You are the Rock that will not fall,
You are the God above us all,
Oh, Lord, You are Emmanuel.
You are Messiah who has come
You are the long awaited One
Oh, Lord, You are Emmanuel.

Emmanuel, among us and within us
Emmanuel, to earth you freely came
To overcome our evil
To dwell among Your people
Emmanuel, we praise Your name.

You are the bright and morning star,
You are the healer of our hearts,
Oh, Lord, You are Emmanuel.
You are the song the angels sing
You are the mighty King of kings
Oh, Lord, You are Emmanuel.

Emmanuel, among us and within us
Emmanuel, to earth you freely came
To overcome our evil
To dwell among Your people
Emmanuel, we praise Your name.
 


We pray that you will know Emmanuel, and that He will be "God With Us" to you in the coming year.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful words to that song...I'll be back to listen one day soon.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl, that song is so beautiful. What wondrous words! Words to be pondered and tasted. I pray this Christmas Eve day has been quiet and full of joy for you. Merry Christmas! (I so love seeing your family pictures each year at Christmas time)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can I get the Instrumental for this song? I want my children to sing it for Christmas. I've been looking for the right song for them, and this is it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. J Kemp, I am not sure whether the accompaniment track for this song is available...or even if it ever was. The album was released by Integrity Music in 1994. Perhaps the company could direct you?

    You can download the mp3 via Amazon at this link... http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Emmanuel-Truth/dp/B000008NO7 ...but of course, that is not the instrumental only version.

    It is such a beautiful Christmas song! I hope you are able to find it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...