As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Sunday, December 11, 2011

Home Free

We knew that the day would come, the day that our dear friend Ann would leave this earthly realm for another.  

Ann had suffered with ALS.  She told me once that the Lord had deemed that she should glorify Him through her life with this disease, that she had only one opportunity to do that, and she wanted to do it well.   

And "do it well" she did.  Oh, how she did. 

Why was it that when I visited her, I came away encouraged?     

Why did she pray daily for members of my family, and for others? 

Why did she want to hear about my small troubles?

Why did she speak so often about the Lord, and His great love, and His grace? 

Because she was living her life as an offering to her King, even as her world was becoming smaller and more limited and more restricted, and even as she was learning what it meant to die to everything but Him. 

On Friday, the day came. 

But even as I mourn, I rejoice at her release.  She is no longer bound by her earthly body.  In my mind's eye, I can see Ann dancing, her feet no longer lame.   I see her raising her hands, those hands no longer crippled by ALS.  I hear her praising the Lord who saved her, with a voice that is no longer weak.   I see dear Ann, totally whole, in the presence of the King of Kings who has been preparing her for this place all along. 

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~


5 comments:

  1. We have a friend right now who is in the hospital...she has ALS too, and may die this time around. Thankfully, she too, knows the Savior. Praying.

    Sorry for your loss....

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a recent sorrow that takes up much of your "head and heart" right now. Thinking of you and praying that Ann's life will continue to glorify the Father as the celebrations and ceremonies that surround death are attended. How wonderful to know that she is safely home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord for a testimony worthy!! I know it's painful to lose someone you love... but her faith (and yours) shines through your eulogy. I always admire the strength of your witness Cheryl.

    And the song... took me back to a time before I knew the Lord. I remember loving the song but now it has real meaning! I sang at the top of my lungs with him and my girls had to come down to see what was going on. I was smiling through tears... a somewhat usual occurrence in this home from this saved by grace, sanctified, loved, lover of Him who gave His everything so that I can experience unspeakable joy even in tribulation...

    My prayers are with you and everyone who will miss her!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a testimony of someone who was living her life as an offering to her King, and one who knows what it truly means to "know" and "walk" with God.


    The song ministered to me, as well! Haven't heard Wayne Watson in a while!

    Praying for Ann's family, as well as your loss too,Cheryl!

    p.s.
    I usually comment in one post on previous posts when I miss visiting, but didn't today,but went to the specific posts.
    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many years ago, Phil and Ann and Gary and I went to Dover to hear Wayne Watson in concert. It was about the time he wrote this song, I believe. His story behind it was so moving.

    I read a book by Joyce Landorf when I first came to the Lord, in which she described the process of watching both her mother and her grandfather pass away. Her mother told her from the beginning of her cancer diagnosis: "Joyce, I have always tried to teach you how a Christian woman should live. Now I want to show you how one dies." I've always remembered that. And I've now witnessed it with my own eyes through the life and death of our dear sister Ann. Such a humbling thing to witness.

    Thanks so much for all you did to help Ann through her illness. It was a longtime commitment but such an honor.

    Home Free ... what wondrous words!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...