As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Slow Cooker Tuesday ~ Week 1 {Cranberry Pork Roast}


Today I begin my fifth recipe series! It 's hard to believe that it was two years ago that I had my post-holiday meltdown that prompted Soup On Tuesday. Since then we've had Salad On Tuesday, Bread On Tuesday, and Fruit On Tuesday

I enjoy doing recipe series. Not only does it provide some structure to my blog twice yearly, but it's also a great time to try some new recipes! Are any of you like me? I love to cook, but sometimes find myself in a rut of cooking the same things, either out of habit or because I did not plan ahead. A series gives me the impetus to shake up the dinner menu!

This winter's series is Slow Cooker Tuesday. For the next twelve weeks, I'll be sharing some of our tried-and-true recipes, and I will also be delving into my sources to find new crock pot meals. 

I must confess that I am kind of picky about slow cooker meals. Too often, they are mushy. Or the individual ingredients lose their distinctive flavors. And you won't see any cream-of-whatever soups in the recipes I share. (Does that make me a snob? I hope not.) But it's helpful to have a few delicious crock pot meals in your repertoire for days when your daughter has her piano lesson or you have errands to run or you just want that comforting feeling that dinner has been taken care of while you do something else. 


***

Maybe you have a can of cranberry sauce in your pantry leftover from the holidays. (Or you're like me and have to buy a can.) I can think of no better use for it than this recipe for Cranberry Pork Roast that we enjoyed last weekend. It was savory and slightly sweet with a yummy sauce, and all four of us loved it. In fact, we ate it on Saturday and planned Monday night's meal around the leftovers! 

The next time I make this, I will leave it in the crock pot for a slightly shorter time. The longer time did not affect the flavor, but the roast was difficult to slice and thus made a sloppier presentation. (And we bloggers know that presentation counts, don't we? ~smile~)





Recipe from Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook


Ingredients:
 2 1/2 to 3-lb. boneless pork roast
16-oz. can jellied cranberry sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cranberry juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
~~~
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon salt
Directions:
  1. Place roast in slow cooker.
  2. Combine cranberry sauce, sugar, cranberry juice, mustard, and cloves. Pour over roast. 
  3. Cover. Cook on Low 6-8 hours, or until meat is tender.
  4. Remove roast and keep warm.. 
  5. Skim fat from juices. Measure 2 cups, adding water if necessary. Pour into saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat. Combine the cornstarch and cold water to make a paste. Stir into gravy. Cook and stir until thickened. Season with salt. 
  6. Serve with sliced pork.



Do you ever rely on slow cooker recipes on busy days? 

12 comments:

  1. This sounds like a keeper. Think I will make it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl, I have to admit I don't usually like them....but this looks DELICIOUS!!! So I can change...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to Tuesdays! Just a question: does it call for a cup of butter? Seems like a lot.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Your Cranberry Pork looks delish! Recipe inspiration is always welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you sound a bit lofty with that prejudice you have against Campbells, but that stuff has a lot of sodium so I'm sure that you can be forgiven. We don't enjoy fruit and meat combinations so I must pass on this one...We=John. =D I do enjoy using the crockpot and look forward to all that you'll share over the next 12 weeks. It's going to be great. And an honest review will be worth a lot as well. (I have had so many Pinterest fails. I feel as if I am chucking recipes as often as I am pinning them.) Have a lot if fun with this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! Barbara, there is NO butter! That's what happens when you cut-and-paste from another recipe. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to like this series! We do fellowship meals at our church twice a month and with no oven there we rely heavily on the crock pots! I need some new inspiration!

    You're a great cook, so I am sure this tastes delicious!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am looking forward to this series. My only probably with roasts in the crock pot is that I must do them a bit too long as they tend to be dry. I have to get out of the idea that it can just be cooking "all" day. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love using our Crock-Pot. The mornings are so much better for me to work on getting dinner ready than at 4:30 when everyone's a little cranky and needy.

    I'm looking forward to your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I'm going to have to try this one! Thanks for posting it. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This must have been mouth-watering delicious! pinning for next month's menu!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for sharing! I'm going to try it!

    Happy day to you!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...