As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this nearly six-acre tract of land, this farmhouse, this domain—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Slow Cooker Tuesday ~ Week 3 {Beef Ragu}

Today's recipe is another that falls into the "It Could Hardly Be Easier!" category. A wee bit of chopping, put it all in the crock pot, and go about your business. 

That's exactly what I did yesterday. At lunchtime, I assembled the ingredients in my slow cooker. In the afternoon, the girls and I went shopping while Ron (who had the day off) puttered around in his shop. When we got home, everyone was hungry, but that was not a problem. I shredded the beef, cooked some fettuccine, tossed together a salad, and we were sitting down to a delicious hot meal in no time.

1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 tablespoons tomato paste
3 teaspoons dried oregano
(or 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh oregano leaves)
1 beef chuck roast (approximately 4 pounds), halved
coarse salt, ground pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

  1. In slow cooker, combine onion, garlic, tomato paste, and oregano.
  2. Season roast with salt and pepper and place on top of onion mixture. 
  3. Add 2 cups water, cover, and cook until meat is tender and can be pulled apart with fork (approximately 4 1/2 hours on high, or 9 hours on low).
  4. Let cool 10 minutes, then shred meat with two forks and stir in vinegar to taste.

When I have made pork ragu, I have browned it first and then simmered it for most of the day in a Dutch oven on the stove, so I had kind of expected this recipe to be a little low on flavor. Not so! Martha did not disappoint. ~smile~ 

Do you typically brown your meat before slow cooking it?


  1. I have not used my slow cooker except for Sundays, and have been bored with my recipes. This looks like a great meal - one I could put back into the crock pot after adding the pasta, if I wanted to take it to a fellowship meal.

    Thank you for taking the time to put together this series! It's such a help!


  2. I am such a fan of the slow cooker especially on days that I will be gone from home fore several hours. This recipe sounds delicious and I would certainly love to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing, Cheryl :)

  3. I have started to brown it but I liked that you didn't in this because why dirty another pan. This reminds me a little of "Mississippi Roast."

  4. This sounds good! I need to start using my crockpot more, I haven't plugged it in since Christmas. Thanks, Cheryl, for your sweet comment on my post yesterday.

  5. Love finding new slow cooker recipes, Cheryl,this looks like a winner! I like that you didn't have to brown the meat first, a step that I usually don't like, but will follow the recipe. ~smile~
    Thanks for sharing.

  6. I love new slow cooker recipes.
    This one sounds delicious-
    especially if its cooking during a shopping trip!

    That's great!

    Enjoyed visiting, and I am a new follower.

    White Spray Paint

  7. Hello Cheryl! As I compile my New Year thoughts I planned on using my crock pot more. How nice to see this recipe! I appreciate your comment that it was full of flavor. I am looking forward to making this in the near future. It looks delicious!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...