As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, September 14, 2019

Around the House



In the past six months or so, Thinking About Home has mostly been a blog for recording major life events: a bridal shower, a high school formal, a wedding, a graduation, a big party, milestone birthdays. Yes, it has been an eventful season! 

Maybe it's time for a little this-and-that post. Let me share a few things that are happening around the house. 




After a three year search, I have found a step back cupboard for the dining room! 

When we moved into Pineapple House, we realized that our china closet was way too big for the dining room, and the search began for a stepback cupboard. On a whim one day, we decided to move a cabinet from another room into the space and I propped an old mirror on top to give it height. 


I have been happy with that solution in the meantime, but I never gave up the search.

On a trip to Lancaster last weekend, we found it . . . the perfect piece for our dining room! It is tall enough to hold its own alongside the piano (and there is no other wall in the living space that will accommodate the piano), but narrow enough to fit in the space without feeling crowded. The color is right and the style . . . well, I'm swooning! Ron and his brother are driving up to get it tomorrow and I can't wait. 

Here's a peek at it in the Strasburg Antique Market. 






Progress is being made on the kitchen. 

Indirectly, that is. 

You may remember that our washing machine is in the kitchen? We have been remodeling the kitchen in stages (most recent updates ~here~), but from the beginning we have planned to eventually move the washing machine down to the basement. 

Last week when Ron was off, he did much of the prep work: ran electric, adapted the plumbing, installed a pump and a laundry sink. The washing machine will be heading to the basement soon! (I will miss the convenience, but I really can't wait to have it out of my kitchen!)  Then we Ron can begin to move the refrigerator in its place, adapt the cabinetry, build a lower cabinet, and install new countertop to match the rest of the kitchen. We hope to have these changes completed by the holidays. 






We have a new family member!

Bekah is thrilled! He is a stray cat from my parents' neighborhood, and they have been taking good care of him. He is still getting used to being an indoor cat, but he's making progress. He is such a sweetheart! 









We will have a special guest tonight!

We are continuing our one-at-a-time sleepovers with the grands. On their visit, they get to choose a carryout meal, a game to play and/or a movie to watch, a movie candy, and they get to sleep in the new guest room (Aunt Kati's old bedroom). Today, Bekah and I are going to a ladies' luncheon at church and then Alaine (9) will come home with us for her turn. 





Is it autumn?

I went to my friend Barbara's house for coffee yesterday, and her house looked and smelled like autumn! As I sipped my (two cups of) coffee, I was inspired to fallify my house a bit, so I picked up a white pumpkin with a great stem when I was grocery shopping. Hoping to do a little more fallifying by early next week . . . 





What's happening around your house lately? 


26 comments:

  1. It's always so good to find the piece of furniture that you ahve been hunting for!
    What a dear little cat, they are very good at making themselves at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a thrill to finally find the "right" piece!

      I think you're right about cats. After a while, they think they own the place! :)

      Delete
  2. That stepback cupboard is gorgeous! So glad you found it here! I love your new kitty, the progress in the kitchen, and I can imagine Alaine’s excitement at having her turn to stay!

    I loved this little catch up! Let’s do it in person soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your place and the decor. Isn't it nice to find what you were looking for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! Yes, it is rewarding when you find the right thing after a long search!

      Delete
  4. Your new dining room cabinet is beautiful. Can’t wait until we see it all set up. It is true that we are limited by wall space and furniture and all manner of things. You are patient to wait for just the right piece to come along. Trust that your special guest has a special time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vee! I am chomping at the bit to set it up!

      We are having a lovely time with our guest. Right now, we are watching the live action Cinderella and nibbling on peach rings, Alaine wrapped up in a blanket. Life's simple pleasures. :)

      Delete
  5. Cheryl, the stepback cabinet is perfect for your home. I know it will look right at home in the Pineapple House. It sounds like your kitchen will be more roomy soon. Your Ron is a master at getting your home improvement projects done. Your grands must feel so special to have you all to themselves when they come to visit. A brilliant way to enjoy each one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words, Martha Ellen! Indeed, Ron is an ambitious project guy! I certainly couldn't afford him if he wasn't mine! :)

      I love visiting with my grands in a group, but it is something special to have one-on-one time.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed 'chatting' with you! My favorite kind of post! Love your cabinet and your kitty and hearing all the news of 'home.' Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for chatting with me, Linda! I love chatty posts too, but I have been such a poor chatter this year! I'll be by to catch up with you . . .

      Delete
  7. I love your step back cupboard!! What a sweet new family member. Looking forward to seeing your new kitchen work. A totally enjoyable post.

    Have a lovely Sunday ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorraine! I know you're a cat lover too! Happy Sunday to you!

      Delete
  8. Lots of nice things happening there. Love that store where you found the cabinet. Your kitchen looks light and airy, like that. Oh is see that furry trouble maker that is going to steal your heart.:):) Your home is very nice, your guest will love it. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been to Stasburg Antique Market too?! It's a great store! Oh, yes, that little guy has already stolen our hearts! Thanks for stopping by for a chat, Susie!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed this post -- just like a conversation over a cup of coffee or tea. Look forward to seeing your amazing find in place in its new home. And I like your idea of the special overnights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that's why so many of us enjoy chatty kinds of posts. It's our way of connecting with our friends!

      Ron will be back in a couple of hours and I am ready! :)

      Delete
  10. That new cabinet is just right. I'm looking forward to seeing it in it's place in your home. Great progress going on in your home. I can see where the added counter space and having the fridge in a new spot will really help the function of your kitchen. Good ideas! By now your sleepover guest has had her special time at your place. Such a wonderful tradition you have started. I'm just about ready to pull out the rest of the fall décor that I have. By now you have that cabinet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our sleepover guest had a great time and so did we! And, yes, the cupboard is here and I love it! I spend most of the day yesterday reorganizing . . . you know how one thing leads to another? Hope to take a few pics today so I can share!

      Delete
  11. Well, I have enjoyed my visit at your house today. Your new dining room cabinet will be beautiful. Well worth waiting for that 'perfect' piece, isn't it? And a new kitty cat ... oooooo, I hope it's a happy adjustment for everyone. And what fun to have the grands over one at a time with all those treats to anticipate. I feel excited myself, just imagining what I might choose for a carryout, a candy treat and a movie.
    Let's see, for me I'd choose Chinese: pot-stickers, green onion cakes, and fresh spring rolls; chocolate with nuts in it; "You've Got Mail" with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks.

    Wishing you a beautiful week ahead...
    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to hear your own choices! You could certainly be a sleepover guest here! (Our 15-year-old granddaughter did choose "You've Got Mail." One of our favorites too!)

      Delete
  12. The new cabinet is so beautiful, Cheryl, I have been looking for a new desk, just can't seem to find one that suits my fancy and price, but will keep looking and waiting!
    I would love to have a basement for my washer and dryer as well as a place to store my canned goods, l in the South, not many people have basements. You will enjoy the extra space.
    Good luck with the continued remodeling!
    Keep enjoying and making memories with those overnight visits with the grandchildren, I fondly remember the times I spent at my grandparents home.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it takes a long time to find the right thing, doesn't it?! It is so satisfying when you find it though.

      Really, most homes in our area do not have basements either. It is very useful though! There is a part of ours that is "finished," although it needs a lot of updating. Some day (very low on the priority list) we may make it a TV/exercise room.

      Delete
  13. The step back cupboard is wonderful! Much enjoyment can be found in the search.
    What's the new kitty's name? I love him already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! The search can be fun too, sort of a treasure hunt! :)

      The new kitty's name is . . . pending. When he showed up as a kitten in my parents' neighborhood, Mom named "her" Maisey. When she later learned that "she" was actually "he," the name was changed to Mansie. That's what we call him now, but we're not sure we want to tell that story for the rest of his life. ;)

      He is such a sweet boy! He is still adjusting to being an indoor cat.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...