As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, December 16, 2019

Gingerbread Loaves for Gifting




This time of year, I like to have a few goodies ready to give . . . for hostess gifts or a little something for a friend or neighbor. Sometimes I make cranberry orange bread. Sometimes I make Marry Me Toffee. Sometimes it's pecan shortbread. One year I got ambitious and made these little sponge cake houses. 


This year, I wanted to make gingerbread, but I wanted it to be in a loaf form . . . not cut into squares and not cookies (although I have a super yummy gingerbread cookie recipe). I didn't find exactly what I wanted in an internet search, so I put together ideas from several different recipes and this is what I came up with. I love the spicy flavor, and the texture is just right, so I'm saving this one! 

My recipe makes three mini loaves. I doubled to make six loaves. Of course, we wanted one for ourselves. Quality control, right? Or maybe a little slice is just right with a cup of tea or coffee. Either way, it was just as easy to make six. :)






GINGERBREAD LOAVES
(makes 3 mini loaves)

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk



Instructions: 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, thoroughly mix together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and salt. 
Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream together brown sugar and butter. 
Add molasses and vanilla; mix well.
Add eggs, one at a time, until well-mixed.

Add flour mixture to the sugar mixture alternately with the buttermilk, stirring just until blended after each addition. 

Spoon batter into three greased mini loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
(You could also make one full-sized loaf. Increase baking time to 45-50 minutes.) 

Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and finish cooling on a wire rack.






After your loaves have completely cooled, you can wrap them in plastic wrap or cellophane and tie with baker's twine or ribbon for giving. 






If you're not ready to give (or eat) within a few days, place wrapped loaves in a resealable freezer bag and freeze for up to three months.

Happy giving!! 


11 comments:

  1. They look wonderful! I do the same with pumpkin bread....took one out of the freezer today to gift. Gingerbread, though......I'll bet the house smelled wonderful! I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok....it's officially been "pinned"

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Carol! That is definitely one of the bonuses of making gingerbread . . . that wonderful spicy aroma! Ooooo . . . I love pumpkin bread too!

      Delete
  2. Cheryl, your gingerbread loaves look wonderful. I've made your delicious Marry Me Toffee and I can just imagine the gingerbread loaf is as well. It's always nice to try a recipe from you. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Martha Ellen! I love simple recipes, so I am always on the lookout. Happy baking to you too! 😊

      Delete
  3. I just made gingerbread two weeks ago for the Christmas Café at church. It is my great-grandmother's recipe and turned out so good. Very similar to yours. I'll bet your loaves were good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I remember seeing your gingerbread in the blog post you wrote about the Christmas Café! It looks nice and dark, which I translate as spicy and yummy! How special to have your great-grandmother's recipe to use!

      Delete
  4. An excellent gift-giving idea. My baking has not yet begun. Still wrapping and cleaning and fluffing and shopping and I need a nap. 💤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gingerbread is the extent of my baking so far! Hope to get a few cookies made soon . . . Bekah has promised to make fudge.

      A nap sounds like a great idea!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for this idea and the recipe. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...