As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Gathering the Moments | June 2024


I am going to show you some photos of some lovely moments in June.

Even though there are many struggles and life continues to be complicated, our God is faithful. As our Good Shepherd, He guides us through these rugged paths  . . . one day at a time. And in the midst of the hard days, there are lovely moments, beautiful gifts from His hand. 



~ Summer is at the door! ~
I found a large door basket at an antique store at the end of last summer,
and I had been waiting to fill it with hydrangeas!



 ~ ladies' Bible study in the sunroom ~



~ at the beach, one Mom's happy places ~ 





~ theater ~




~ a moment to create ~



~ lunch at Gammy's ~




~ a long overdue outing with my friend Barbara ~
(Yummy food, coffee, antiquing, and a whole lot of catching up!)




~ FATHER'S DAY ~

It was the first Father's Day without my Daddy. I expected it to be hard, but honestly, there were days leading up to the day that were harder. Grief is like that. You keenly miss your person on those "special" celebratory days. but you also miss your person on ordinary days and at random times like when you dip your knife into the orange marmalade and remember that it was his favorite. 

There were some sunshine-y moments on this Father's Day . . . dads with (some of) their children . . . a summer table set with new striped napkins that were a bargain . . . a delicious assortment of pies from a local bakery . . . a happy Gift Fairy . . . the best cards . . . texts and Facetime from faraway children . . . laughter . . . love.











~ a grand day with a sweet granddaughter
Simple pleasures, a few treats, and time spent together.




~ birthdays ~




~ attending the closing program for our grandchildren's VBS ~

We were thrilled that the theme of the week was TRUTH . . . God's truth that does. not. change. Kids may enjoy the crafts, games, and snacks at VBS, but the words of eternal truth are what it's all about, so when our babies sang out the theme song: 

🎶 There is a rock that stands the test of time
Where the wind and waters rise
And waves are always breakin'

There is a rock where we can build our lives
His name is Jesus Christ
And we will not be shaken ðŸŽ¶

. . . well, my heart was moved and I was so grateful that these truths are being poured into their hearts!




~ a visit with Ryan and family ~
This visit was a long time coming, and it had been a logistical feat to coordinate multiple schedules. We had car trouble on the way up, had to put the van in the shop, there were logistical hurdles to overcome since we had to extend our stay while we waited for the van to be repaired, and there was grave concern over friends who became ill while we were away.  But our time with family was priceless! We had some much-needed time to relax, plenty of good food (including homemade banana-chocolate chip ice cream, a full English breakfast, and Texas burgers), beautiful music, iced coffees and lattes, a visit to the National Air & Space Museum, games, movies, crazy laughing at right-left face collages, fireworks, and even a bit of antiquing.
(Huge thanks to my sister, daughter, and grandchildren who handled things here on the home front while we were away!) 














~ ordinary moments ~
Cat naps. Summery touches around the house.
Meals in the sunroom. Sunny views.





Yes, there were some beautiful gifts in the month of June! 

I will leave you with a beautiful musical moment. 
(Daughter Bekah is playing the piano and granddaughter Eve is on the violin.)

18 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely post, Cheryl. Your words, "in the midst of the hard days, there are lovely moments, beautiful gifts from His hand" is so true. Thank you for sharing these gathered moments with us. From the hydrangeas on the door to the faces at the beach to that adorable gift fairy - your knowledge of God's goodness and presence shines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorrie, thank you for your kind words of encouragement that mean so much! Indeed, He is good!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely kaleidoscope of happenings in June. Beautiful family photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing our happenings from afar!

      Delete
  3. I loved what Lorrie said, Cheryl! Such a beautiful post. Bekah and Eve's rendition of "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" touched my heart.
    I enjoyed each and every photo, my friend. You certainly enjoyed many lovely moments amongst the hard days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you enjoyed every photo (and the music), Martha Ellen . . . as a true friend! Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  4. I was happy to catch up with your June moments. So full of community and love. Listening to the lovely duet while I type. So thankful for God's guidance and care in the smooth times and troubled times. Sorry about the car issues on your trip. Glad you could see Ryan and family, though. That is definitely a FULL English! Yikes, tomorrow August arrives!! Blessings ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to catch up, Ellen! I, too, am thankful for God's guidance and care in every season. It was so good to be with our family . . . and I feel the same about August! Yikes!

      Delete
  5. How beautiful to hear the old Hymn being played by the next generation! Thank you for sharing. Lovely times with family are so nice, glad you could make the journey and still rejoice in the time spent with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those wonderful hymns need to be passed along to the next generation! Thank you for joining my June "gathering," Melissa, and for your kind words!

      Delete
  6. Lovely moments in with the hard ones. Real life for certain. I love your focus on the Lord and his goodness. It's our help and stay!
    Deanna Rabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, real life. So very thankful that we have confidence in His goodness!

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful gathering! The music touched my heart deeply! Your family are all so special and thank you for sharing your thoughts and precious moments. You always seem to be able to make the best of things and see the positive side of them. Praying that all is well on the home front. Hugs ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosella, your words touch my heart deeply! I am glad that you loved the music for I feel the same way!

      As far as always seeing the positive side . . . I'm afraid I do not. But I constantly remind myself that He is good and He is in control. His faithfulness carries me!

      Delete
  8. So many wonderful pictures. You do have a talent for capturing life in photos, Cheryl.

    I especially loved your comments about missing your dad, and dipping your knife in the marmalade. Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful moments indeed, Cheryl! Thank you for sharing, I have been away from blogging so long it seems like starting over, My sincere condolences to your family for the loss of your father,
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, thank you for your kind words and your condolences. My blogging (and commenting) has been sporadic at best these past couple of years, so I totally understand. One beautiful thing about friendship is that you can just pick up where you left off! Hope you are well!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...