As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Sunday, June 9, 2024

A New "Antique" Silhouette




A while back, I spied this little picture in an antique store and the lovely grain painted frame got my attention! Never mind that the Victorian girl did not match the colonial frame. I knew that I could make a new "antique" silhouette to put in the frame because I had seen Megan Miller create one! (If you're on Instagram, you really should follow Megan who is full of inspiring home ideas and thrifty finds.) 



It was such an easy process! 


◾  I Googled to find a silhouette that I liked. I held my paper up to my laptop and used a pencil to trace the outline. 



◾  I went over my pencil outline with a fine-tip Sharpie.



 ◾ I filled in the outline with a regular Sharpie.




◾ Then I popped it back in the frame and used some heavy brown paper (from a roll of gift wrap) for backing. |





Voila! An (almost) instant "antique!" 




I intended to hang my silhouette with this grouping, but it was throwing off the balance. (I may need to make/find another one or two. 😊) 



For now, it is sitting on my mantel and I kind of like it. 



Not bad for less than $10 and about an hour's work! 

20 comments:

  1. Love it. It really fits the style of that frame so much better than the original in the frame. Fun project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen! I am really happy with how it turned out . . . and so fast!

      Delete
  2. What a good idea. It does suit the frame so much better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara! I think the silhouette lady looks at home there!

      Delete
  3. You have a good eye for seeing something special. That frame is amazing; but the picture in it did not do it justice. The transformation you made is exactly what it needed. The silhouette picture is perfect and it looks great on your mantle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Sandra! I agree that the frame is pretty amazing. I just couldn't pass it up!

      Delete
  4. Clever! I may have to try this idea....

    Deanna Rabe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't is fun to create something yourself? Accomplishing a project is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Melissa! There is something about creating that is so satisfying!

      Delete
  6. It's perfect, Cheryl! I really like it on your mantle. The frame is quite eye catching and much more suitable to the silhouette. I must say I also enjoyed seeing your grouping with the lovely piece with the beautiful words embroidered there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Martha Ellen! I'm glad that the frame called my name in the antique store!

      The grouping keeps growing! It started out with the stitched piece. It was a gift to my great-aunt, stitched by her friend. She passed it along to me many years ago and I treasure it. The framed scherenschnitte, also treasured, is an original design created by my friend. I've been adding the little silhouettes here and there and this new one may very well end up here too!

      Delete
  7. Love it, Cheryl! Thanks for showing us how you created this. It's looks so sweet on your mantle but I think it will also look lovely in that grouping, if you figure out the right balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda! I think it will eventually end up in the grouping, as I play around with it. I think it wants to be there. :)

      Delete
  8. What a great idea. Love the way you were inspired and ran with it. The grouping is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorrie! Inspiration won over procrastination this time! :)

      Delete
  9. I love this! The frame is perfect for this silhouette. You are inspiring me to get some framing of pictures done. Happy weekend to you ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, Cheryl! I would never have thought to color in the silhouette - I'm sure I would have fussy cut the thing, and regretted every second of it. lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...