Now I am sixty.
The ladies in our family gathered this week to celebrate Kristin's 40th and my 60th birthdays. It was such a special day! We all went out to lunch, then came back to our house to continue the celebration with a game, gifts, and birthday cake. Good times . . . lots of laughs . . . lots of love!
I have not dreaded this milestone birthday in the least, and I have no qualms about anyone knowing my age. I feel that every year, every day, is a gift from the Lord. So, even though there are definitely more limitations as the years fly by, there are also different opportunities and I hope to serve Him with all of my allotted days.
For my sixty years, I thought it would be fun to tell you sixty things about me. Some are inconsequential. Some extremely important. Some you probably already know if you're a Thinking About Home reader. Some are little known facts. 😊
Here goes . . .
Here goes . . .
- I have had a baby in four different decades of my life. (I had my first baby when I was 19, eleven days before my twentieth birthday, another in my twenties, another in my thirties, and my fourth when I was 40!)
- I would rather clean bathrooms than go grocery shopping.
- I love seafood (but not oysters).
- I have lived in seven houses.
- I am 5 feet, 8 inches tall.
- I homeschooled my four children over a period of 28 years.
- One of my favorite activities is antiquing.
- Another is having a long chat with a good friend.
- I am
oftenalmost always late.
- I hated field day in elementary school. I would much rather have been in the classroom. (Weird, I know.)
- My favorite color is red.
- I married at age 17. (I turned 18 a few days later, but Ron's good friend/best man would have been back in college by that time.)
- I have recently found that Walmart grocery pickup is my jam.
- I wear makeup every day. (Unless I am dreadfully ill.)
- I fight with my hair. It is thick and has just enough curl to be annoying, but not enough to let it do its thing.
- I always wanted to be a mom.
- I never wanted to be a nurse.
- For years, I asked for a pig for my birthday.
- I don't know one car from another. I call an SUV a "van thing" and I have no idea what anyone drives. So if you don't have a bumper sticker or a noticeable dent, I probably won't know who you are when you pull into my driveway.
- I enjoy cooking more than baking.
- I am a procrastinator.
- My first airplane flight was at age 47.
- I am not a good traveler.
- I taught myself to sew at age 8 and proceeded to outfit my Barbies.
- I make a cheesecake every Christmas.
- My first grade teacher called me The Poky Puppy.
- I loved school.
- I cried the first day I could not go to school because I was sick.
- I cried the first day my teacher was absent from school.
- I cried the day that there was tomato soup for school lunch. (Weird little kid, huh?)
- I am a cat person.
- I am a house person.
- I have had a lifelong struggle with time management.
- I can't kill a cricket (can't stand the crunch ~shudder~ ) but I can sweep them outside.
- I don't like milk.
- I love to sing my praise to the Lord! Hymns are my favorite. (And I have several "favorite" hymns. How can you choose just one?)
- One of my favorite passages in the Bible is Psalm 90. (Again, I have several "favorites." How can you choose just one?)
- I miss homeschooling.
- I will do almost anything to get out of making a phone call. And I say ridiculous things on answering machines . . . not on purpose.
- Autumn is the season that makes my heart sing. (But you knew that, didn't you?)
- Does anyone love the Rodgers and Hammerstein Cinderella as much as I do? ~swoon~
- I am the kiss of death to plants.
- I was once eyeball-to-eyeball with a snake who got in my house. (Would you like to hear my snake story sometime? I can talk about it now.)
- I have lived in Maryland all of my life.
- I love lists.
- I admire a pretty yard. I desire a pretty yard. But I hate yard work.
- I love candles . . . food scents like cinnamon or orange or carrot cake, but not florals.
- I have a ginormous collection of paper napkins, and a decent collection of cloth napkins. I can't help myself.
- I don't remember the first time I met Ron.
- I have a fear of heights.
- Math was one of my favorite subjects, but it was one of my least favorite subjects to teach.
- I didn't go on to take French IV in high school because I didn't know who I would sit with at lunch.
- I'd rather have lemon pie than a birthday cake.
- My favorite childhood book is Heidi.
- I ♡ Thanksgiving.
- My "uniform" is jeans, a pretty top (love black, but also bright colors), and silver hoop earrings.
- My earliest memory was seeing my new baby sister in her bassinet when I was two years and four months old. Not long after, I picked her up and "burped" her while Mom was hanging something out on the clothesline! 😲 I don't remember that, but I've heard the story so many times that almost feel like I do. (My poor mother!)
- We have spent most of our 42 years of marriage remodeling a house.
- My dream is to write a children's picture book.
- My life was changed by the Gospel when I was 12 years old. I realized that I could not be good on my own, no matter how hard I tried. I accepted Jesus's payment for my sin and He forgave me and made me a new creature in Christ.
I'd love to learn some new thing about you! If you have the time and inclination, tell me something in the comments!