As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Fruit On Tuesday ~ Week 3 {Fire and Ice Salsa}

Did that get your attention?  It did mine!

Bekah was perusing cookbooks as she likes to do, sort of keeping on the lookout for fruit recipes for my series (did you know that this blog is a family project? ~smile~), and she saw a recipe for Fire and Ice Salsa.  Watermelon, strawberries, jalapeño peppers...sounded intriguing!




Three of us loved this salsa!  

We ate it alongside slices of rotisserie chicken, as suggested in the cookbook.  (Yummy as a side dish!)




And then we tried it with some tortilla chips.  (Yummy as an appetizer too!)



I am already making plans to serve Fire and Ice Salsa as an appetizer at a dinner party in a couple of weeks.  This will be an all ladies' gathering, mostly mothers and daughters, and we think that this salsa will fill the bill as "girl food."  For the record, it was Ron who did not care for it, so maybe it is "girl food."

Here is my very-slightly-tweaked-from-the-original recipe...

( Original recipe found in The Dinner Doctor by Ann Byrn)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chopped seeded watermelon
1 cup chopped strawberries
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion 
2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeño pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar


Directions:
  1. Place watermelon, strawberries, onion, jalapeño, and cilantro in a bowl; stir to mix.   
  2. Pour olive oil and lime juice over the salsa and sprinkle the sugar on top.  Stir gently to combine.  
  3. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or two to allow flavors to meld.  

NOTE:  Because Ron doesn't care for a lot of "fire" in his food, I reduced the jalapeño to 1 tablespoon. But since he didn't really care for it anyway, we'll fire it back up to 2 tablespoons next time!  Look out, ladies!

Do you like "fire" in your cooking?  How hot do you like it?




4 comments:

  1. Oh, what an exciting combination of flavors! Looks so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like a little bit of heat in my food. This salsa looks and sounds like a perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love this salsa, I like a slight hint of heat in salsa so I might use half the amount of jalapeno. Your dinner plate looks so beautiful, colorful, and healthful. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this looks really interesting and one to try! I will!

    On a different subject but related, did you ever do a post about pizza dough? I remember making some not long ago from someone's blog, I think, or maybe Pinterest. It may have been a make the night before. If it was you, can you let me know where? I even did a search on your blog as I thought it might have been in your bread series. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...