As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, June 15, 2013

Fathers {A Repost}


Reposting from last year...musings about Father's Day...


We always make a big deal out of Mother's Day and Father's Day.

There are those who say that such holidays were created by people who wanted to sell cards. Years ago, one friend told me, "I don't need gifts or cards because I am a mother; I don't do what I do so that I can be appreciated."  Another friend encouraged her husband to do something for his own mother, but not for herself.  

Honestly, I can see the point in all of those perspectives.  And these celebrations certainly are not Biblically mandated; they are recent observances in the scope of history.  


My dad with my sister and me, 1963


But I choose to celebrate Mother's Day and Father's Day because I wish to honor the role of mother and father.  

When my husband gives me a card and chooses to give me a gift, he is saying to my children, Mom is doing an important job, and I appreciate it.  He is honoring the role of "mother."  And when I do the same for him, I am saying, "Your father is an honorable man and you are blessed that he is your father."  

When we give to our parents, we are obeying the Biblical command to "Honor your father and mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you."  (Exodus 20:12)

When I give a gift to my own son (who is a father), or to my daughter (who is a mother), or to my son-in-law or my daughter-in-law,  I am acknowledging and appreciating the challenging but vitally important job that they are doing.



So this weekend, we will honor fathers, and their unique position in the family.  

I will honor my husband Ron whose quiet strength, sincere desire to do right, and love for the Lord has made him a wonderful father.

I will honor my own father whose integrity and hard work have made him a good example to his children and grandchildren.

I will honor my son-in-law Brian whose servant heart and selfless giving has been a tower of strength to His family.

I will honor my son Ryan across the miles, as he faithfully leads and trains his family in righteousness.

I will honor my father-in-law who, although He passed away almost a year ago, has left behind a story of God's grace.



And we will thank our Heavenly Father for His grace.

The grace that He gives to imperfect human beings, the grace that enables them to be fathers and mothers and raise children in this sin-cursed world.  The grace that takes their imperfect efforts and uses them anyway.

The grace that He gives to children whose parents are poor reflections of His glory.  The grace that He offers to those who will accept Him.  The grace that He extends to be the "father to the fatherless." (Psalm 68:5)

The grace that He gives to those who have lost their earthly father...as Ron did this year, as the children of my dear friend whose father passed so quickly last summer.  Again, that promise that He will be the "father to the fatherless."  


And for this grace...



But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, 
made of a woman, made under the law,

To redeem them that were under the law, 
that we might receive the adoption of sons.

And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

(Galations 4:4-6)



5 comments:

  1. Perfect post for this weekend! Let's honour the men in our lives who love God, love us, and work hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post ... we all have a circle of fathers around us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tribute to all the men in your family who are blessed to carry the name "Father." I really like that photo of the guys walking through the field. I agree that we should take any and all opportunities to say how much they are appreciated and loved. Happy Father's Day to them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Father's Day to all the men in your family!

    It is so important to honor these men in our lives who are walking with the Lord and loving and leading their families!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need this little pep talk 'cause I'm one of those who tends to be skeptical about the commercialization of all these holidays. I agree though - honoring father & mother IS important. Any day. EVERY day.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...