As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, June 24, 2013

Summer in the Farmhouse


Last week, I decorated the farmhouse for summer.  It took about 5 minutes.  

It can take me days to gussy up the house for autumn.  And I usually spend a week festooning the house for Christmas.  I like to add some warm and cozy touches for the winter months.  Spring has me bringing in the greens.  

But you know how I feel about summer.  (Blah.) 

Nevertheless, I spent my 5 minutes making the house summer-ready.  


I put my small collection of shorebirds on the linen cabinet in the living room.


I placed a few fresh herbs in a crock by the back door, and added a conch shell.


I put a topiary on the kitchen counter right next to the rack of white summer-party plates. (Apparently, some of my summer-party plates were in the dishwasher, because the bottom stack looks short.)


I put a pair of topiaries (I think I have an obsession with topiaries) on this kitchen cabinet.


A geranium on the dining room table...

...and I'm done!


Do you decorate for summer?  (Does it take you more than 5 minutes?)
  

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Cheryl!

    My summer decor usually consists of a "clearing out"... I like to simplify as much as possible. I think it makes me feel cooler? :-) Also some fresh summery potpourri... this year it's a Coconut Lime scent!

    Thanks for sharing your home... It's inspiring to see what others do for the change of seasons!

    Kim :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decorate every few days and it rarely takes more than five minutes. Your decorations say " summer" to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I clear a table top, is that the same as decorating?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your summery touches!

    I don't do much other than try to lighten it up...

    I did find some cute red checked plates the other day...they are going up over the cupboards in the kitchen.

    Love all your topiaries!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the shore birds. Summer to me means simplicity - and I think you've achieved that look with your 5 Minute approach :) Very Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Vee, I'm always adding and subtracting. In summer I use my seashells, lots of greenery from the garden and that's about it. Love summer! Love your summery touches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your summer touches...you have a beautiful home! I haven't done much in the way of decorating this year. I did buy a new framed wall print a few weeks ago that hasn't been hung yet. If I could only decide where to put it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheryl,

    I'm with you, not much of summer gal.
    I do very little summer decorating...spruce up the screened in porch, some summer scent candles, and MAYBE a pot of flowers. No more. Give me Autumn, Winter, and Spring any day. I tell my friends and family I'm hibernating during the summer. ol:)
    Ginger @ agingerlypace.blogspot

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...