As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, October 12, 2011

{31 Days to Make a House a Home} Day 12 ~ Plan to Eat


Is this a "no brainer" for most of you?  I wonder why it took me so long to learn this little trick: 

Plan to eat.

It's something we have to do every day, as we make our house a home.  So why not have a plan? 

Mine is simple.  I do rudimentary meal planning as I grocery shop, making sure that I have something penciled in for each day.  The plan is flexible and the days' entries can be juggled around to fit the real week's schedule, or to answer someone's meal request, or to take advantage of some inspiration. 

Then I make it a goal to have a definite dinner plan by lunchtime each day.  That way, I can get something out of the freezer if I need to.  I can begin a soup or some spaghetti sauce early enough to have it ready by the dinner hour.  Or I can arrange simple preparations around the day's activities. 

But there isn't that scratching of the head and stewing (no pun intended) and fretting at 4:30 pm. 

It's not rocket science...if I plan to eat.  


~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~



2 comments:

  1. True! I though I had a plan today. We made lovely sides and dessert but when it came time to put the chicken in the oven to roast it wasn't fully thawed... change of plans!

    Awe well, when you offer pie for dessert, everyone is very agreeable no matter what else you put on the table. ;)

    Loving every post Cheryl!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've come to that conclusion too! Making meals is a non-negotiable so why not plan for it so meal prep and cooking becomes a beautiful time of day (instead of the rush and fretting what to make)!

    And to have the definite dinner plan by lunchtime -- yes, me too! Usually even earlier.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...