As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, October 31, 2011

{31 Days to Make a House a Home} Day 31 ~ Hold Loosely



And so we have come to the last of these thirty-one days. 

On the very first day of the series I said,
Home is made up of beautiful sights, lovely aromas, tantalizing tastes, comforting touches and textures, and lively sounds. But it is more than our physical surroundings and the appeal of the senses. It is also the intangible beauties of attitude and atmosphere. The best home is a reflection of our Heavenly Home, a humble foreshadow of that Home that is promised to His children.
I have attempted to offer you some new ways of looking at your home, and your own place in it.  Maybe one or two ideas have inspired you to brighten your homein its surroundings, or in its atmosphere. 

There's one more thought that I'd like to leave with you...hold it loosely

You see, I am merely a steward of my home, my little piece of the here-and-now.  It is not really mine.  It is where He has placed me right now, today.  And I am responsible, as His steward, to take good care of it, and to do my best, and to do it with all my heart (as unto the Lord, and not to men, Colossians 3:23). 

But if He should choose to take it away, or move me to another place, then I must loosen my grip and say, "Yes, Lord." 

Now that may sound as if my attitude is oh-well-no-problem-easy-come-easy-go, but that is certainly not the case.  I love my home.  As I told you ~here~, I had to learn to love it, but now I can hardly imagine myself anywhere else!  Home is a good place to be.  However, it is a only a temporary gift.  I must hold it loosely, while I hold tightly to eternal things.   



For the things which are seen are temporal;
but the things which are not seen are eternal.   
2 Corinthians 4:18b 



May you and I be able to declare with Martin Luther,

" I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess." 



~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

 
God bless you as you continue to make your house a home...while you focus on the things that are eternal!


9 comments:

  1. (First of all, know that I'll never be offended if you are "slow" to visit my blog - EVER!)

    Now...re. THIS last of the "31 Posts", just yesterday I facebooked these words (older gospel song):
    "This world is not my home I'm just a passing through
    My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue
    The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
    And I can't feel at home in this world anymore..."

    Somedays those words just really fit. Do you know what I mean? I DO find my house often to be a solace and want it to be a place where others are nurtured and sheltered. Kind of a "way station", to steal a Pilgrim's Progress reference.

    This post of yours expressed what my heart is feeling and what I'm trying to say SO well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of those "hard things," Cheryl... we work hard to put down roots, and make our houses into homes, but we need to always keep the fact that God is in control in mind! It's easy to forget that!

    And guess what! We made it!

    Well, almost... I still have to write my last post! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl,

    Such a wonderful reminder.

    I think your 31 days posts would make a wonderful ebook - you should consider it!

    Thanks for your 31 Days posts - they have been a great prelude for me for the month of Thanksgiving.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl, I too try and hold my home loosely. I know that I am a steward too of what He has trusted to me, I pray that when I meet my Lord that He will say "Well done Good and faithful servant."
    You have done a superb Job with Making your House a Home. I know I will be coming back to reread some of these posts.

    I would like to say "a job well done," but won't because, I know writing these posts was not a job, it was a joy and pleasure for you because your heart shone through! I would love for every woman to read your series. I didn't have time to read other participants in this meme, but if they were as inspiring as yours then blogland is a place I want to stay in. ~smile~ I still think you should put these in a book, at least an E-book.
    Enjoy your day,
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl, I agree wholeheartedly! Thank you for a wonderful 31 day series! If there were prizes given away for the best series, I think yours should get first place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies, your comments overwhelm me. It's all by His grace...

    Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You pretty much said what i could not effectively communicate. +1

    My blog:
    internet anbieter und dsl anbieter vergleich

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes... a perfect way to end this series! Funny how things coincide, for my sis and I were just discussing that yesterday (before I read your posting)... and here you confirm it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that reminds me of the story about the little girl who stuck her hand into a jar and was clutching a dime. When she was offered five dollars for the dime she had a very difficult time letting go. Yes, we need to be able to let go. Thank you for the gentle reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...